BPCR School

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Re: BPCR School

Post by jackrabbit »

Yep! It went very well, I was quite pleased. We are thinking to do it again this year, probably similar dates as last year. I did a write up about it, I'll see if I can find it and repost it.
Thanks for the interest!
Cody
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Cody Smith <smithmoorrange@gmail.com>
Tue, Oct 12, 2021, 11:42 AM

Shooters and Friends,

The first ever Smithmoor BPCR School was held this past weekend at Smithmoor West. It might have been the first ever BPCR school as I had not heard of such a thing before now. Judging from the positive feedback, it seemed to be a giant success. The whole thing was Steve Anderson’s idea and he was the driving force behind it. As always, several very generous and dedicated sponsors also made it possible. Shiloh Rifle, SPG Sales, and Wyoming Sight Drifter graciously sent items to help. THANK YOU!!!

We had hoped to have 6-8 students and was going to cap it at 10. We ended up with 14 entries, but two couldn’t make it at the last minute leaving 12, so we went ahead and ran with that. I was quite pleased at the interest! 2 had shot for a couple years but are finding themselves in a rut, a couple had shot a little but were still unsure about the whole black powder deal, and the rest were complete newbies. I was shocked to have that amount of folks that are interested but never shot the holy black before! Yahooo!! It was very encouraging to say the least.

I was fortunate to have Michael Rix and Kenny Wasserburger agree to help me teach the class. We spent the entire day Saturday and a couple hours Sunday morning in the classroom. The rest of Sunday was spent on the range shooting. We covered pretty much all of BPCR, including hands on casting and reloading, and tried to put an emphasis on mental management and spotting/wind coaching. Michael and Kenny had lots of great information, and I even found myself picking up several new things to try. The last piece of classroom time I thought was a treat as Kenny walked us through paper patching by showing us molds, bullets, paper, and the process to actually patch the bullets. I am sure the students pretty much had information overload, but they sure got what they paid for! They went home with lots of material, notes, and contacts to follow up with anything else they might want to know.

Our students were absolutely super. They were very attentive, interested, and intelligent. It was really fun having a roomful of folks so interested in BPCR. It really gives one hope about the future of BPCR. We are thinking we will do it again next year. I know it is hunting season, but the dates worked out well for us. If anyone is interested, put it in the back of your mind for next October and watch for more info next summer.

Take care and thank you for all of the support,

Cody and the crew at Smithmoor Range
fosjam

Post by fosjam »

This looks like a lot of fun. I’d like to do it.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Very interesting! Hopefully my work schedule will be a little more forgiving this year.
Griff

Post by Griff »

I told my wife about this, mentioning that it would be great to be able to attend something like this BPCR school if one was held in our region. She almost instantly decided that it would be worth the drive to Wyoming and we're seriously considering it if we can work it out...

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

No less than 2 of the students told me it was the highlight of their year. Cody, Michael and Kenny did an exemplar job!
wyomingsightdrifter.com
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

No less than 2 of the students told me it was the highlight of their year. Cody, Michael and Kenny did an exemplar job!
wyomingsightdrifter.com
amprat

Post by amprat »

Funny Griff, my wife is saying the same thing. She'd like to see that part of the country, and she likes to shoot.

@jackrabbit,how much ammo would be needed per shooter?
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

50-100 rounds would be plenty.
lmontee

Post by lmontee »

I would be very interested in attending this year...2022 as well. I should have a rifle to shoot by October...Ha. Just checked Google Maps and it's a 14 hour drive for me from Western Nevada.
Cody are you compiling a list for this year already? If so should we just contact the email you listed.
Thanks in advance
Larry Montee
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Wow! The enthusiasm and interest is awesome! SmithmoorRange@gmail.com is the best way to get in contact with us. We will start planning the school after our big matches in August.

Kenny, Steve, and Mike, guess we are not going to get out of doing it again, eh? lol
Thank you everyone for the support and the interest, it's going to be fun!
Cody
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

I'm in
wyomingsightdrifter.com
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Me too, I am in.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

I'd be interested in attending if I can make it work, schedule wise, guess I could just be sick that weekend!!!
Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

I'd be interested in attending if I can make it work, schedule wise, guess I could just be sick that weekend!!!
Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson