Long barrels and fouling near the muzzle.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: Long barrels and fouling near the muzzle.

Post by semtav »

When I quit shooting my 45-90 I was up to 95 gr of Swiss 1.5 with no fouling issues in a 34" barrel, but like Chris said, you could control vertical with the number of patches.
That's was before I tried bore pigs.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I did go up to 97.5 but found 94.5gr and 95 to be a real good area. Now I have to get back to the range to check speeds and see what one performs better. Im using the same bore pigs I used in my 45-100 with 108.5gr of powder and that worked very well with 10-1 water/oil. So hopefully, with a larger dia barrel the heat wont be as bad, causing hard fouling.

Speaking of that and after reading DD's article, I feel that he hit the nail on the head in the first paragraph. "hard fouling" not your regular fouling that is removed during normal operations. That is/has been the single hardest thing to control in that 40-82. I just figured , the more water I can put down the barrel, the better it will be, and so far, its working, hence the 3 felts. ( use 3 felts on my 45cal pigs too) Now we dont see those 113deg temps....ever here in Wi, at least not without 80% humidity, so Im sure coming down south would be a HUGE eye opener, but I can say I have learned that watching that final "dry" patch and giving it a spin as it leaves the barrel is now part of my regimen.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
semtav

Post by semtav »

bpcr shooter wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:06 am I did go up to 97.5 but found 94.5gr and 95 to be a real good area. Now I have to get back to the range to check speeds and see what one performs better. Im using the same bore pigs I used in my 45-100 with 108.5gr of powder and that worked very well with 10-1 water/oil. So hopefully, with a larger dia barrel the heat wont be as bad, causing hard fouling.
matt
That is more than I use in my 110. Mine didn't like 108 gr but did 105.

I'm currently running 95gr 1F in My 45-100 with real good results. Put 49 rounds thru it the other day at 800 yds Fireforming brass and held good vertical the whole time. But it was only 50 deg and good humidity.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

One more thing, the hard fouling I would find, was about half way down for a few inches, or just in front of the chamber. again I was just using water/oil at 10-1 mix so maybe switching to 15 or even a 20-1 would be more beneficial??

matt
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

108.5gr got me a 145-5x at 1k (my best). Its a real stiff load in a 11lb rifle! It scoots you back a couple inches!:lol: my previos load...100gr with very little compression, BR2 w/ under primer wad and .060 poly wad. that shot my .443 slick really well.

I dont mean to hijack the thread with this question and I may post it outright, how does one shooting PP bullets get it done fast enough at the "Q"?? I've been there 2x and both times used PP bullets. My problem is I just shove the pig thru not even looking because the line is going soooo fast. I wish they'd put us slow people together. It, to me puts extra stress on things and I can feel myself not shooting as well as I should
NMLRA Member
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Ditto, and sometimes even a scorekeeper will encourage you to hurry. Just have to not impose the stress of keeping pace on yourself. Squadding BP shooters together would be a challenge.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

DD, the last I heard that gal was hanging out with Bill Clinton, how did you get her to make you some bullet lube? Some of the guys I worked with sent her several applications to work with our company, but we never heard back from her. :wink:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.