Paul Jones Mould #45002

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omaha Poke

Paul Jones Mould #45002

Post by Omaha Poke »

Just thought I would post the first results from my test of my new Paul Jones mould #45002. I had this mould made to Shiloh barrel and chamber specs, and had the front driving band reduced in diam so that it (the bullet) could be seated out a little farther into the lands. I have had the mould for a few weeks, and cast about 400 bullets with it. It is extremely consistant in weight when casting 30-1 alloy, and drops bullets cleanly at 543.5 grs. Plus or minus .2 grs.

I tested it yesterday, 15 rounds, R-P brass, Rem LR Primer, 65.5 grs of Swiss 2F, .030 LDPE wad, 3/16" compression. OAL 3.082, my own lube, bullet not sized, pan lubed, and no crimp, just the bell taken out. Brass was new and not fire formed or annealed.

Bore was wiped with a patch with bullet lube prior to firing. I made up 15 rounds, and the first two foulers were on the edge of the 9 ring, (Standard 200 yd NRA target) (all shots fired at 200 yds). The next two rounds were at the upper edge of the 9 ring almost touching the 10 and about 3/4" apart. I adjusted the sights, and fired the next 11 rounds with no sight adjustment.

6 of these rounds formed a one hole group with all holes cutting into the prior one, 5 rounds were just outside of this group, and formed an overall group of 1 7/8". The 6 round group all fell within the area of a half-dollar! and that was at 200 yds.

I made up enough to use them at the Machias shoot tomorrow where we will be shooting 200 yd Standing Offhand, 300 yd sitting, and 500 yd any position. I hope this load does as well there. Although the 200 yd off hand is a killer for me. Can't shoot for beans off hand :oops: :!:

I will post the results of the 300 and 500 yd, but don't expect me to tell how poorly I did at the 200 yd offhand.

This should prove to be a great bullet for my .45-70 LRE and My .45-110 LRE.

I haven't had a chance yet to test the #45001 mould Paul made me, but will post the results here for those interested. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Due to weather conditions today, we shot a 30 shot, 3 string - 10 shots per string match from 500 yds today at Machias. The 45002 bullet performed very well, and with a good shooter behind it, I am sure could shoot a possible 300 at 500 yd.

I shot a 271 and that was with a complete miss during one string, then I got made at myself for taking a deep breath while I had my trigger already set, that I dropped 5 more points in that string.

This bullet and mould really work in my Shiloh LRE .45-70 with Swiss 2fg, R-P cases, Rem LR primers, and .030 LDPE wad. Now to try the 45001 mould from Paul!! Hope this helps someone, Randy
Randy Ruwe