Powder Selection

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

e15cap

Powder Selection

Post by e15cap »

Getting ready to order a case of powder and need some input. I have two very highly ranked shooters here that tell me to use Swiss in my 45-70 and my partners 45-90. However I am reading that Goex has improved to the point that it will do the same job at half the cost. So what is the latest scoop guys? We are both brand new to this. Saw Paul Jones this weekend at Pala and ordered a mould but need some black stuff behind those bullets. Money is always a factor but if Swiss is the real deal that is the way we will go. Just occured to me that we could order half and half and compare the two our selves. Duh. Anyhow opinions and thoughts will be greatly apreciated.

Roger Winn
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Roger Win,

Who ever those top Pala shooters were, you better listen to them.

Kelley O.
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

Kelley O.,

Maybe you could add a little to what you mean.

A.Bruiser
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Roger, you need to try both powders to see what your gun likes. I was kinda like you when I started and first tried Swiss because a lot of the top shooters were using this powder but through A LOT of trial and error discovered my gun preferred Goex cartridge. I got a little higher velocities with Swiss but saw "wetter" fouling and a more accurate load with Goex.
e15cap

Post by e15cap »

Kelly - Doug knoell and Russ Hooks are the shooters I referred to, along with Paul Jones and just about everyone else that was there last weekend.No sense trying to reinvent the wheel, we will be ordering
swiss 1 1/2. Thanks Roger
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Heed the Tasmanian rebel’s advice, or you may very well wind up re-inventing the wheel....
pt2317

Swiss Vs Geox

Post by pt2317 »

I went through about 9 lbs. of Geox trying to get my 45/70 to group better than 3 to 5 inches AT 50 YARDS. Swiss was no better untill I ran out of Lyman produced Postel bullets and bought some from MonLee. First group was 1 inch with Swiss 1 1/2. Now into my 100th bullet with Geox 3F and 2F and get an inconsistant 1 1/2 group. With Swiss I sometimes get 3/4 inch groups. Once I'm consistant will try 200 and 300 yrds.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

pt2317,

It's unfortunate you started with the Lyman bullets. The ones I saw a couple of years ago were undoubtedly the worst bullets I ever saw.

I'd advise starting at 200-300 yds. and working on a load at that range to get consistency. I don't think you'll ever learn very much at 50 yds.

Clarence
A.Bruiser

Post by A.Bruiser »

Roger,

I'll be at next months match. Come and introduce yourself and I'll tell you something kind of interesting.

Kelley O.
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Kelley, maybe an increase in medication may help.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Kelly O is A Bruiser!

We were right, playing troll are we?

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Figured I'd let the cat out of the bag, not all that good at playing games, kind of like B.Wilson, remembered him playing a game on me. It also goes to show who talks behind the lines,so to speak. I sure got alot of private e-mails,some I'll appoligize to. I do know who and who not to trust now.

Kelley O.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

So do we.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I sure hope this doesn't have to become a big altercation like we have had here in the past. I do appreciate you comming clean Kelly, and like our last p.m., you are always welcome here, but my forum is not going to get like you and Gunnys MSN forum which is not here anymore, I hope we understand this!!! See Ya in Raton Kelly, and take care.

Now back to powder choice.

How are you Mr. Winn? If I were you, and you like to shoot, order each powder and see what works the best for you, the powder you don't like can always be sold, MLV just bought the rest of the Swiss 1 1\2 that I had. I didn't care for Swiss due to the fact, the people I load for and take shooting, don't always get enough moisture down the barrel and swiss burns hot and as everyone knows this can be a problem. Kelly is right, see what the winners are doing, and use common sense. For example, I read where people are using magnum primers and compressing swiss, they must be magic, because it didn't work for me.

So beware of some information, it may be out there just to mess you up, hope this helps.

Thanks
Kirk Bryan
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Kirk,

I'll post this for everyone to see, it's an explaination of why I did what I did. There are some who talk bad about other folks behind their backs, whether they know them personaly or not. They know who they are and now so do I.

Kelley O.