Shiloh tang sight

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

George Babits

Shiloh tang sight

Post by George Babits »

Are there any markings on the Shiloh tang sight that identify it as made by Shiloh? The reason I ask is that I have an original "Assembled" Sharps which has what looks like a Shiloh tang sight on it. The patina on the sight isn't too far off from that of the rifle, but none of my books show and original tang sight quite like the Shiloh one. The front sight appears to be an original globe with pinhead in it.

George
77 sharps

Re: Shiloh tang sight

Post by 77 sharps »

George

There are no identifying marks on the sight. I have the envelope it came in and the installation instructions.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Shiloh has provided MVA front sights on all of my rifles, so I'm guessing that is the sights they provide.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Early on Shiloh offered a non vernier tang sight similiar to the original Sharps "Sporting Tang" sight. The difference was that Shiloh had an eye disc which would lock the slid in place, whereas the originals held their vertical position by friction alone. I in looking at pictures of the originals I see that the spring is located on top of the base, while the Shiloh version has the spring on the underside of the base. I looked at the Shiloh site for sights and I only see MVA sights now, so probably they no longer offer this sight. Well, in going through several of my books I have probably answered my own question. What I have on this original Sharps is a tang sight made by Shiloh. The sight was still available in the late 1980s. I'm not sure when MVA started up, but their sights were not available when Shiloh began making rifles. I suspect the new Shiloh owners dropped it because everyone wants a better sight now.

George
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

A lot of the early ones had axtell sights on them. They were a true copy of the origional. I think the windage was on the eyecup about 11 min. If that helps any
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Yes, the Axtel (Riflesmith) sights were available beginning in the mid-1980s. But I don't remember if they were available through Shiloh or not. From about 1979 through the 1980s Shiloh offered a simple tang sight as I described, as well as a globe front with changable inserts. I would talk with Tom Axtel at the Virginia City shoot so had a good chance to see his sights. They weren't cheap, but I got a couple of them for my Remingtons. Later, I got, second hand, a mid-range for the Sharps; and a long range witha Ballard base. I put that Ballard on an original Meacham Sharps I have because it had already had a Ballard hunter's sight on it. The Ballard sight then went onto my 22 LR Ballard. The "Original Gun Sight Co" is now making sights like the Axtel ones. I'll probably put the Axtel mid-range Sharps transition on my 40-70 SS rifle that has the Shiloh sight on it.

The tang sight on the "Quigley" sharps in the movie is an Axtle transition model. I can't remember f it is a long or mid-range one. I'm thinking it is a mid-range.

George
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

George I had a Long Range Express rifle, one of the earlier Bryan era rifles. It had a tang sight on it that sounds just like you describe in your first post.

I once read about it on here somewhere and apparently that sight was commonly supplied with the older long range express rifles. As an aside, the wood had a really interesting figure to it, maybe the nicest of any of my Shiloh rifles, but strangely it was configured with the plastic butt plate.

I should add that it also had a globe with a pinhead in it.

Chris.
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

I have one of those tang sights.They were Shiloh tang sight 109 listedd in their old catalogs
Last edited by Amigo on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
Amigo

Post by Amigo »

I have one of those tang sights.They were Shiloh tang sight 109 listed in their old catalogs
Always aim to be careful and always be careful
to aim
bobw

Post by bobw »

Gunlaker they were std sights for the LRE model in the late 70's to atleast late 80 's. I've seen more than a few so equipped as is my 70xx range LRE in 50-140. Lot of the Shilohs back then had the plastic buttplate on shotgun butts. Bobw
Last edited by bobw on Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

Gunlaker they were std sights for the LRE model in the late 70's to atleast late 80 '. I've seen more than a few so equipped as is my 70xx range LRE in 50-140. Lot of the Shilohs back then had the plastic buttplate on shotgun butts. Bobw
bobw
lrb

Post by lrb »

I too have one of those early non-vernier tang sights. I bought it in the early 90's with two threaded apertures. One small, one larger for low light. Windage is locked by a screw in a sliding bar in the front of the sliding aperture base