59, 63, and 65 rifle

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
James

59, 63, and 65 rifle

Post by James »

I wonder what makes the difference other then the markings on these military rifles. Studying my book if I had a 52 calibre, 30” barrel with out bayonet lug with a patch box military rifle it would have the same sights and wood. Could it merely be the date that the order was placed by the government? Any one have knowledge about this?
There’s no horse so dead it can’t be beat a bit more.
Horse Soldier

Re: 59, 63, and 65 rifle

Post by Horse Soldier »

The new model 59 has a headless clean out screw in the block. The new model 63 has a filister head screw. If there’s a difference between the 63 and 65 no one has found it. The model 59 carbine doesn’t have friction ridges on the block the new model 59 does. Both were brass mounted and have a sling swivel in the buttstock. The last 59 new models are iron mounted without the swivel or patch box.
James

Post by James »

Thanks, I had over looked that screw head. Didn’t take much of change to get a new name then as is true today.
James

Post by James »

I’ve discovered another difference between the 59 and 63 rifles. The front sight on the 1859 is 3/4” from the muzzle and the 1863 front sight is 1.2” from the muzzle. Perhaps to make the bayonet more secure.
Horse Soldier

Post by Horse Soldier »

Looking through Sharps Rifles. From what I understand the early 59 rifles had saber bayonets with the front sight 3/4” from the muzzle. Berdans rifles had angular bayonets with the front sight 1.2” from the muzzle. After the Berdan contract saber bayonets were not fitted. If you look at the pictures you can see the difference. The information is there but sometimes you have to put it together yourself. Excellent book though all things considered.