Farmingdale 1863 Sporting Rifle

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
JamesW

Farmingdale 1863 Sporting Rifle

Post by JamesW »

Did these Farmingdales Sporting have the “Old Reliable” on the barrel of the 1863’s? We’re they all round barreled? I have an 1863 Farmingdale Military that does not have the “Old Reliable” on the barrel. Thanks
George Babits

Re: Farmingdale 1863 Sporting Rifle

Post by George Babits »

I can't speak for the Farmingdale 1863 sporting rifles, but the 50-90 Farmingdale I got in the late 1970's was stamped "Old Reliable" on the barrel. Neither of my Farmingdale infantry rifles are stamped "Old Reliable."

George
JamesW

Post by JamesW »

George Babits wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:51 pm I can't speak for the Farmingdale 1863 sporting rifles, but the 50-90 Farmingdale I got in the late 1970's was stamped "Old Reliable" on the barrel. Neither of my Farmingdale infantry rifles are stamped "Old Reliable."

George
Thank you George. It's the same on my 1874's and my Farmingdale Military 1863. I'm wondering specifically about the 1863 Sporting, if they had the "Old Reliable" logo and if they were all round barreled. Thanks again for the response.
James

Post by James »

Shiloh did make 1863 sporting rifles with octagon barrels. I can’t remember if they were marked Old Reliable. This one I made into a Gemmer.
Image2439 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
There’s no horse so dead it can’t be beat a bit more.
JamesW

Post by JamesW »

That is a nice rifle. Shiloh used to make 1863 Gemmers. I know, because I almost bought one off GB. I'm sure they didn't make very many. I tried to talk Lucinda into making a Gemmer out of an 1874 I sent in for a rebarrel. She didn't go for it. Where did you get the parts? Does yours have "Old Reliable" on the barrel?
James

Post by James »

That one I built while working for C Sharps in Washington state. The barreled action is from Shiloh and the furniture is from the Hawken Shop. I don’t remember who bought it as I just did the smithing and the office dealt with people. Mike Nesbit wrote it up in a magazine.
There’s no horse so dead it can’t be beat a bit more.
JamesW

Post by JamesW »

James wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:23 am That one I built while working for C Sharps in Washington state. The barreled action is from Shiloh and the furniture is from the Hawken Shop. I don’t remember who bought it as I just did the smithing and the office dealt with people. Mike Nesbit wrote it up in a magazine.
That is a pretty rifle
JamesW

Post by JamesW »

James wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:23 am That one I built while working for C Sharps in Washington state. The barreled action is from Shiloh and the furniture is from the Hawken Shop. I don’t remember who bought it as I just did the smithing and the office dealt with people. Mike Nesbit wrote it up in a magazine.
That is a pretty rifle