A Day at Cub Scout Camp

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wolfie

A Day at Cub Scout Camp

Post by wolfie »

got horn swagled in to taking my sharps out and giving a talk about buffalo guns and the great hunt of yester year.
i was not to sure about this as public speaking is not something i am thrilled about but since my wife was one of the leaders and both boys where there i did not want to disapoint them.
so i loaded up some blanks got out the sharps and a single action revolver shooting sticks and acc.
i started by talking about what the buffalo hunt was and why it happened and the mixed views surrounding it.
then i gave and example of the difference between black powder and smokeless (next time going to get longer matches) then started going over the sharps the double set trigers the sights the hamer and that big barrel.(as one boy pointed out my gun was taller than most of the scouts) when i started shooting the blanks talk about a captive audience :D after i finised i answered questions for over an hour while i cleaned my gun most of kids and some of the adults had some real good questions and coments.
i started the day not sure of this and now would not trade it for the world and would due it again for sure and am now going to look for some period loading tools for props.

if you have the chance to teach kids about shooting don't miss out on it you will have a good time.

ps the camp leader said i kept the kids in one spot longer than any other speaker during old west week. 8)
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Wolfie, looks like you had just as good a time as the boys. Did you make some blanks for the Sharps? If so, how did you do it?
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

oh ya taz had a great time fun how thing work out.
i used sized and primed cases in this case 45 2 7/8 added 40 grs of goex 2f powder used 8 per case .030 veg wads seated firm on to the powder and added a little dab of bore butter on top to keep the fouling moist.
it made a nice boom not to loud but some good smoke and no recoil that i could tell.next time it would be fun to bring some for all the kids to try but i am not sure if that is allowed,it would also have been great if they had a range other than for bb guns so i could have let the real currious ones see the beast at full roar. 8)
B.J. Spalding
SHILOH#1
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

oh ya taz had a great time funny how thing work out.
i used sized and primed cases in this case 45 2 7/8 added 40 grs of goex 2f powder used 8 per case .030 veg wads seated firm on to the powder and added a little dab of bore butter on top to keep the fouling moist.
it made a nice boom not to loud but some good smoke and no recoil that i could tell.next time it would be fun to bring some for all the kids to try but i am not sure if that is allowed,it would also have been great if they had a range other than for bb guns so i could have let the real currious ones see the beast at full roar. 8)
B.J. Spalding
SHILOH#1
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

need a spell check and a proof reader :oops:
B.J. Spalding
SHILOH#1