Scope Silhouette Shooters Advice

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

flintski

Scope Silhouette Shooters Advice

Post by flintski »

Meant to ask this a long time ago, but haven't gotten around to it. The question is as a spotter do you direct your shooter to move the scope or hold at a different spot on or near the target?
At the last two different shoots I have seen both, but I hate to mess with the scope because such small movement really moves the bullet around. I myself would like my spotter to direct me in where to hold for the next shot. I guess it's what makes you feel comfortable is what you should use. One guy had a larger push pin and would put the pin where he wanted the shooter to hold and show him the spot. What do you guys say?
I know dumb question......flint
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

flintski,
If we were shooting together, I would only want you to tell me where the last shot hit and if the conditions had changed. I would do the rest. I get very confused when someone tells me which way to move the sight. But if you wanted me to tell you the sight correction after I see the hit, I'm OK with that.
Keep on hav'n fun!
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Flintski,

The fastest and easist way is to hold were your spotter wants the shot broke. Adjusting the scope takes up valueable time and sometimes a mistake in adjusting can happen.

Kelley O. 8)
DL

Post by DL »

Flintski, For what it's worth, I'd say that you are speaking about a very basic fire team concept. As such I'd recommend that you speak to your spotter ahead of time and set the ground rules. What do you expect from him (or her) and what does the spotter expect in return. If you want information as to where to hold the next shot make that clear. Changing the POA of these long scopes are a real pia and can cause more trouble than just readjusting your POA. Once your team is clear of the rules of engagement there shouldn't be any problems. Good luck....
A person without honor is nothing. Retirement is like winning the lottery! And recess without the bell...
TYRVR

Spotting:

Post by TYRVR »

I want my spotter to tell me where the bullet struck, I will decide if I move the sights or not......sometimes I miss.......(hard to believe but true) and the miss was because the sights were not centered when the rifle fired. I have shot enough to know when my misses are my fault or are the result of conditions, if I have missed and my sights were right.....I will ask my spotter how many minutes of change will be required in his estimation... thats where a good spotter shines! Scopes are not as slow as some think to adjust....but like any other sight....you have to get used to it, I have a friend that shoots scope....but not often...he cusses and fusses but when he practices with the scoped rifle....and begins to memorize the controls....he does GREAT! but then he won't shoot it again for a month or two...and it's back to cussing! if you are spotting for a scope equipped shooter....lay out the rules before the first relay! for that matter...if you are spotting for any shooter you have not spotted for before...talk to them and get on the same page.....it pays off in hits!
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
flintski

Post by flintski »

Well, I have been spotting for this guy for most of 6 years now and it was will iron sights and we both knew the rear sight very well and could say, you need 3 minutes to center. But, now I think we are both missing more targets by screwing with the sight after centering. At the Col. State scope match a couple weeks ago the top shooters were tell the shooter where to hold with the condition change. I think I'm going to talk with my partner for next month and try to convience him to hold away from the last shot. Too many times I hear on the range so much chatter, give me half right, give me another half right. I can't read a half turn condition. I do good enough for my shooter, he is up there in the top 2 or 3 at most matches we shoot in. More info, more info as #5 would say.
Why shoot an ugly gun when life is so short.
big country

spotters

Post by big country »

I just got back from tx. state sil. match. I had a spotter that I did not know but he was very good. I was "shading" by him reading the conditions and hit 6 of 10 rams in a 35 MPH wind. Oh yeah,I'm in A class.
dryfly

Post by dryfly »

Eyes are not the same, put scope on sharps, ready to shoot good. However, some questions. From bench at 200 and 300 yards good groups. When I get past the 300 yd. mark it goes to pot. I have shot my lowest silhouette scores with scope. Have done much better with the vernier, same rifle and loads. The good thing is that I can see the targets and the misses much better with the scope. MVA scope shiloh #1 rifle.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

This scope thing is a real challange and there seems to be a wide learning curve here. i personally believe that the scope class is bringing new shooters into the sport, these are folks that didn't think they could see well enough to shoot Irons. And the scope does allow you to see the targets very well indeed. But, and that is a very big but, the scopes are NOT easier, what they are are is different.

Silhouette is a team sport, shooting Silhouette with is scope is more of a team sport than the Irons. Every shooter spotter team well have to come up with a method that works for them. My take on this after shooting two big scope matches, one a regional shoot and the other the Idaho State Match this past weekend is this. The shooter must be on the animal befor going for score, if you have to crank on the sight to do that so be it. Once you are on your shots for record run I find it best to hold off and let the spotter do most of the work. This is the guy who is on the spotting scope and busy reading the mirage and the wind flags while the shooter is getting ready for the next shot, the shooter simple does not have the time or input to make those quick decsions. At the Idaho State match this past weekend the changes where coming so damn fast that from the time you broke your last shot until you where ready for the next shot there could be two or three big changes. The shooter in these trying conditions can not spot for himself and must have a spotter that he trust's to call conditions.

The scope class is an evolving thing, in time we all will be able to get a handle on it, but it is going to take time. In the meantime I for one am very glad to see so many NEW shooters at the scope matches, I hope that this trend stays with us.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
flintski

Post by flintski »

Gunny
What happened at Idaho this last week, who won the scope class and then the regular match? Couldn't make it this year..
thanks Flint
Why shoot an ugly gun when life is so short.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Flint,

don't want to steal anyones thunder here by posting results, Kirk or Kenny Durham may want to do that. But I will post the winner of both matches.

The scope class was won by Butch Ulsher with a 29
The Iron's was Won by Darrel Smithston with a aggregate score of 57

Very trying conditions with a lot of winds all three days, a lot of wind!!
A former National champion and a hell of a nice guy had a pretty tough shoot as we all did. He had a aggregate total of less than 40 with 20 pigs. To say it was tough would be an understatement, and hey we get to do it all over again in two weeks at Butte. There we may have snow and sleet to go along with the winds and lets throw in the MIRAGE from hell that this range is known for. Hot Damn I can't wait !!!

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Buckskinner

Idaho State match

Post by Buckskinner »

Gunny

One thing you can bet on at the Blacks Creek Range is WIND! I have shot there for 25 yr. and it's very seldom calm.

The location across that revine just seems to speed it up!

Glad to hear you were here would like to have met you personaly.

Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!