Paper Patch Bullets

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

High Desert Hunter

Re: Paper Patch Bullets

Post by High Desert Hunter »

I definitely don't have an instrument for that. However, if I subtract the thickness at the case mouth, I come up with .455. I tried patching a few bullets that you sent me (77 Sharps) about 4 years ago, with the supplies you sent. Firstly, a lot more difficult than it looks, will take practice, secondly the one that came out not looking like a post-op Frankenstein measured at .450, it fits into the case. I haven't sized any of these cases since I fired them in the Sharps, I just knock the primer out, clean, dry, reload. Right now I have about 200 dedicated Sharps 45 2.1", the rest I use for the Marlin and Ruger No. 1. I need to invest in an annealer, or talk my buddy into buying one I can use. I have too many hobbies, and as I am getting older, I feel the need to focus on just 1 or 2 so I can afford this one.

Dave
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Takes no special instrument.

Take your .480 subtract the case wall thickness X 2 from the .480 you have your inside diameter.

Simple math.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

A straight sided PP bullet only needs to fit tight enough that it doesn’t fall out of the case while chambering it. The patch will center the bullet if the patch is correct. Get the .446 bullet that Don recommends and the Seth Cole 55W paper. In a primed fire formed case drop tube in about 83 grains of powder. That should come very close to the case mouth. Place a .060” wad on it and compress the wad down 1/8” below the case mouth. Now see if a patched bullet fits snug enough so it does not fall out when you chamber it. If it falls out, use a taper crimp die to get just enough grip so the bullet stays in the case. All my RCBS BPCR dies FL size the necks to properly hold a bore diameter bullet if you want to try that.

You don’t need an expensive tool to anneal your cases. I use a hand drill and an old 3/8” bit. Drop the case over the bit and heat the case mouth with a propane torch while the drill slowly turns. Do this in a darkened room and heat the case until it turns a kind of gray-blue color just before it starts to glow orange. Drop the case in a box and do the next case.
High Desert Hunter

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Thank you all. The adventure continues, I will be assembling the necessary accouterments and hopefully be able to get the mould this summer.

Dave