Gunsmith recommendation?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

blkpowderbuff

Gunsmith recommendation?

Post by blkpowderbuff »

All,
i have a friend who has two good RB actions, one is a smokeless 7mm action, who wants to put them back into action. My knowlege of who is doing what is several years outdated. Do you have a name and address I could pass along to him? Lone Star did my .50-70 hunting rifle years ago.

Thanks,

Chuck
Nuclearcricket

Re: Gunsmith recommendation?

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Mr Hardcastle would be a good place to start, depending on what they need to get them up and running.
http://hardcastlecustommachine.com/
Sam
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Curt Hardcastle does nice work. I bought a Borchardt long range rifle built by him and it's really nice. It shoots very well and is the rifle I did my personal best score @ 1000 yards.

Chris.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

You could check with Dan at DZ Arms. He was working on a 'roller last time I was in there (pre-covid).
Glenn
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

You could check with Dan at DZ Arms. He was working on a 'roller last time I was in there (pre-covid).
Glenn
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

How about John King in Kila, Montana ?
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Really good gunsmiths are becoming increasingly rare with several I have used becoming less active as in retired or semi retired.
Those that are still at it may be in a position to pick and choose what work they do or do not take on and don't expect a completion date.
I have not yet employed Curt Hardcastle. With that said I have not heard anything but positive about his work.

What I would recommend for anyone to do is decide on what you want done and why before you contact the prospective artisan. That is where folks on this forum can help you out. Decide what you want and why, put that information in an email or letter and send it. You may find that the smith may recommend a different approach but they cannot really help you if they do not know what you want and what you intend using the rifle for. Keep in mind that they may turn you down if what you insist upon would in the long run reflect negatively upon their professional reputation or viewed by them as a waste of their time.

AND, you may find that what you want is unobtainable or the cost is beyond what you are willing to accept. They do not work for free.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
rebsr52339

Post by rebsr52339 »

John was working on RB in the 70s and 80s in connecticut. We shot in some matches before he moved to Montana and I got transfered to NC.
He knows RBs.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I have noticed that competitors shooting John King rolling blocks in target are winning matches.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I also happen to have a Meacham highwall rebarreled by Mr. King. It's a fantastic rifle.

Probably the hard part, as Zack says, is to find someone not retired, and willing to take on the work. Steven Durren from back east recently retired, or I'd recommend him. His work is excellent.

Chris.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

About 6-7 years ago, "range scuttlebutt" was John King retired or was planning to.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Post a query on the American Single Shot Rifle Asso. board asking for John Taylor's contact information. In the last year or so he relocated to Idaho from Puyallup WA. He did some work for me in the past, but I have no idea if he retired or is cutting back on what h work he takes on.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Griff

Post by Griff »

Ray Newman wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:01 pm Post a query on the American Single Shot Rifle Asso. board asking for John Taylor's contact information. In the last year or so he relocated to Idaho from Puyallup WA. He did some work for me in the past, but I have no idea if he retired or is cutting back on what h work he takes on.
Here's John Taylor's website:
https://johntaylormachine.com/
Dangerous Freedom
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Ray Newman wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:53 pm About 6-7 years ago, "range scuttlebutt" was John King retired or was planning to.
I had a rifle re-barreled by him last October.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

john king if he will do it great RB guy art ruggiero