Starline backorder status?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dano Dog

Starline backorder status?

Post by Dano Dog »

I have been slowly accumulating components for my .45-90 build. I should get the rifle into my hands around summer time. After reading that 450 brass cases may not be enough, I just placed another order for 250 cases. I was wondering how long it takes in a post COVID world to get components.

Now, I have to research bullet molds and find large rifle primers. No one told me that I was about to enter the sport of kings.😂

Thanks in advance.

Dano
NRA Patron Life Member
MikeT

Re: Starline backorder status?

Post by MikeT »

450 cases will get you most anywhere you wish to compete; BPCR or BPTR matches. I load 300 for the Quigley, but I do not start shooting until Wednesday before the match. You only need 48 rounds to shoot the Q match.
Also, remember that you will need primers, bullets & BP for each cartridge you load & shoot.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
amprat

Post by amprat »

My last Starline brass 'backorder' order arrived within two weeks.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

I have an order of 45 2.6 on backorder from last fall. I called a week ago and they still had my backorder on file. They didn't know how long it will be.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

And here I was thinking you needed to have all that 'stuff' on hand 'before' you ordered the rifle. Silly me.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

desert deuce wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:39 pm And here I was thinking you needed to have all that 'stuff' on hand 'before' you ordered the rifle. Silly me.
Im the same way, if I even think I want a certain cal/cartridge , I'm looking and buying. Worse case, you keep them for a few years and sell them off to someone whos looking for them.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
amprat

Post by amprat »

Dano, Starline is open for 45-90 brass today.
https://www.starlinebrass.com/45-90-brass-45-24
Nick Christian

Post by Nick Christian »

Hi all, I’ve been waiting over 6 months for 45/120 Norma brass !but then I am in the UK ! 🙄…hey ho..patience is a virtue’…
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

450 cases will definitely be enough. I don't think I've ever brought more than 250 for a single match, although I've heard that some bring more to the Quigley I guess. I've never ever worn one out, except in a rifle with a little too much excess headspace. That one stretched a few. Needless to say that particular rifle wasn't built by Shiloh.

Chris.
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

I am still waiting for 45-90 ordered August 8th.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

bohemianway wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:56 pm I am still waiting for 45-90 ordered August 8th.
Ordered 5/11/2022 Still Processing
bobw

Post by bobw »

gunlaker wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:08 pm 450 cases will definitely be enough. I don't think I've ever brought more than 250 for a single match, although I've heard that some bring more to the Quigley I guess. I've never ever worn one out, except in a rifle with a little too much excess headspace. That one stretched a few. Needless to say that particular rifle wasn't built by Shiloh.

Chris.
I took 600 rds of 45-70 last year and 200 of 45-2 7/8". But then I shot 100 at Big Hill prior to Q week another 250 at the Q then went home . I went back to the Montana 1000 in July shooting another 70 there. A guy can go thru a pile a lead and powder in shoot season. Bobw
bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

It'll take 300 rounds just for score, not counting sighters to shoot the Desert International
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Second post here of the New Year.

Latest RUMOR I have heard concerning the unavailable Starline Brass. I repeat, RUMOR.

Starline buys their brass material to make brass in sheets. The sheets must pass a materials test upon arrival at Starline.

Not that long ago they had 7 suppliers, then 5, now 2, that could supply brass sheets that met Shiloh specs.

Shiloh makes all of their brass from the same sheets, from 25 ACP to the largest.

The remaining two suppliers are not able to meet the quantity demand at Starline, hence, Starline makes finished brass based on orders.

The more orders they receive for a certain headstamp/caliber the sooner Starline will assign incoming sheets of brass to that caliber.

So, if you want 45-90 brass you need to put in an order for that brass with Starline or wait a year or more for sheet availability to increase.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

desert deuce wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:37 pm Second post here of the New Year.

Starline buys their brass material to make brass in sheets. The sheets must pass a materials test upon arrival at Starline.

Not that long ago they had 7 suppliers, then 5, now 2, that could supply brass sheets that met Shiloh specs.

Shiloh makes all of their brass from the same sheets, from 25 ACP to the largest.

I am confused about the Shiloh part.....what role do they play making cases?
kw