Gun Safes

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rdurk

Gun Safes

Post by Rdurk »

Really need to get a gun safe. Especially with the Shiloh on the way (hopefully in the next few weeks!). Just have a few .. Winchester 94, Marlin 94, 12 gauge shotgun, and a few Colt SAA's. What are the quality safes that you would recommend. Thanks for your input. Good Shootin!
Omak Cowboy

safes

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Two thoughts on this issue.
First buy the largest safe you can afford. The reason? Well, first is that your collection will grow to fit the size of the safe. Two is that the heavier the safe the harder - hopefully impossible it will be for the bad guys to remove

I've been a jeweller for some 30 years, and a good safe is the one absolutely first piece of hardware we all buy. BUT...there may be a way for you to buy a really great safe at well under market. Contact your local jewelry supply house and ask them if they know anyone who is selling thier safe. I did that and got a two and a half ton TL30 ( means it is good for 30 minutes under an assault to open it ) which was about a$15,000 safe for $5,000. Yeah, I know 5K is a lot but there will be other models out there too. This one stands 6 1/2 tall and is over 4 ft. wide.

Good luck
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

rdurk:

One of the safes I use is a "Liberty, Presidential Series". I think it is the P-50.

Very Large, Very Heavy, fire resistant and decent looking. Check the internet for more information.

I would definitely buy another one.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
m2fun

Post by m2fun »

Couple of considerations with safes.

#1 - perimeter alarm - monitored service with wireless back-up
#2 - all safes are relatively similar with varriance in heat protection, hinge system, and locking pins (number of around door).
#3 - Not all vendors manufacture their own safe - i.e. Browning, Orvis, etc. American Security makes a number for other vendors.
#4 - Fire safes cost more
#5 - Delivery to in-house location is worth the $200

I found an American Security 20+ gun fire safe for $900 plus delivery $200. Plan on $1000 for a good sized fire rated safe with internal hinges and 5+ locking pins (all sides).

Have fun :D
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Ditto Texas--I have a Liberty and really like it--would definately buy again
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
parvenu

Post by parvenu »

I bought a Sportsman Steel Safe. The fire rating is better than most, the locking system is the same as most. I realy like the safe and the handgun
hangers on the door are a great feature. There is one other safe co. that I found with the same fire rating but I can't find the name right now. If you want it PM me and I'll find it. The web site for the one I bought is: sportsmansteelsafes.com. I also agree on the bigger the better and have them deliver it. You can always find other crap to clutter up a perfectly good safe, ie. deeds,jewlery, birth certificates silver etc. You will be happy you got the extera room. Good hunting
parvenu

Post by parvenu »

I may learn to spell someday. Its this 3rd grade education that I got.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

parvenu:

I found 3rd grade to be the 4 hardest years of my life. ;-)

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

safes

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

safes have registered owners.. if it is your safe is bought new, the safesmith calls in and gets the combination or drilling soft spots/easy to access areas.. if you have a used safe its a lot more of a problem if your ownership has not been taken care of at the safe mfger and it can be awhile before its all straitened out.. the alarm is an excelent idea, mine costs 250 to install and 250 a year to run, a great value.. the police here charge 50 dollars for false alarms. for many reasons a safe is a good investment, the main thing you need protection from is teenage punks or nasty relatives, and any descent safe will stop them.. the pros arnt going to go after your guns, they are too hard to sell and will cause them to get caught, and any crime involving a gun gives them extra time in most states..only idiots steel guns.. a guy here pawned a gun his son stole, it s going to cost him probably about 3-10 years. then when he gets out hell have to pay me back.. .. good luck dave
Josh A.

Safes

Post by Josh A. »

Does anyone know of a good sized safe that has no fire rating? I don't need fire protection, but would like to trade the weight savings in steel.

Josh
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
DL

Post by DL »

When buying a safe always look for one that is at least double the size you think you'll need. It's amazing how fast a safe will fill up after you get one. I'd also make sure has some type of fire rating. You might think that you don't have a need for this but you'll be surprised at what all you decide to put into the safe. Make sure that the door has bolts on all four sides. The more bolts the better. Right after we had our house built we bought all the necessary items, washer/dryer, refrigator, and a 600 lb gun safe. I thought the safe was large enough but now looking for another as a supplement. Cost s less for one large safe vs. 2 small ones. Check with you local gun shop and locksmith. Don't buy one unless you can see it in person. I have a regular dial lock for now but can and will change it out for a digital soon (easier on the eyes). Best insurance I ever got and it's a one time expense (if you do it right). DL
A person without honor is nothing. Retirement is like winning the lottery! And recess without the bell...
Josh A.

Safes

Post by Josh A. »

A few of us need zero fire rating. The only wood in my entire house is the kitchen cabinets. The safes go in a fireproof storm shelter inside the house.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

I had pistols, rifles, shotguns all over the house, under beds, in closets, etc. I got them all together and figured out what I needed in a safe. I bought a 1200 pound, fire rated Iron Man safe, with the best locking system and cross bolt system I could find. It is a beaut, but 1 year after buying it, I am out of room in the safe. This safe holds 40 rifles, and many pistols, and I need another one about the same size. So as the other guys have told you get either the largest, heaviest, most fire proof, and burglar proof safe you can find, or plan on buying another one in the near future unless you wish to sell off some of your guns. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: I bought a Liberty safe from an estate sale. It is one of the Presidential series (LINCOLN) and will hold 18 long guns, has multiple shelves and was set up to store handguns on the back of the door. The interior is fully carpeted and provision has been made for a goldenrod heater/dehumidifier. I agree with the advice to buy a larger safe than you think is needed. Your better halfs jewelry along with valuable papers can be secured when you travel. Rbump
Otter
Location: born and reared up in Nebraska . . . currently exciled in Arkansas

Post by Otter »

I, too, have a Liberty Lincoln. It is 72" tall and big enough for 41 long guns. I can already tell it is going to need a brother to hold more guns. To echo what has already been said . . . get the biggest, heaviest most fire-resistant safe you can afford, you won't regret it.
Ya can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim, the mountain got its ways . . . Otter