Smithmoor June Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor June Match

Post by jackrabbit »

June 12th, 2022

Friends and Shooters,

We enjoyed a very nice, relaxed match at Smithmoor West yesterday. 12 riflemen made it out to compete. It was bright and sunny and got fairly warm with temps hitting the mid 90’s, but we stayed comfortable under the shade of the firing line. It started calm, then the winds picked up mid match, and then calmed back down to nearly zero by the end of the match. They peaked at about 25 mph, which normally isn’t a big deal, but they were so switchy it made hitting anything really tough. It’s always a challenge!

Mom and Dad had a great spread out for lunch. Burgers and brats on the grill, along with salads, chips, and various cookies for desert made for some good eating. We had a nice variety of donuts for our morning snack as well. Thanks to all who helped with the food and brought good things to share!

We broke the shooters into two classes. In AA/A Ed Himelhoch was 2nd, while Dick Hennebry shot a solid for conditions 21 to be 1st. In Master/AAA Doc Bement was 2nd with a 25, while Joe Kapler was 1st with a 26. Veteran marksman Jack Odor once again showed us how it was done by earning the match win with a 28. Super spotter Michael Rix kept him on target in the tough conditions.

There were a few events of note. Mark Pachares was rather disgusted with his score of 2 on the rams in the switchy winds. Just for fun, he shot the rams again next relay and whacked 8 of them. We’ve all been there Mark! I am working on getting two guns up and running. One is my beautiful MVA Highwall that Dan Zimmerman put together for me in 38-55. That’s the gun I plan on shooting 10 chickens with. I’ve got some bugs to work out, but I think it’s going to work. I shot it at chickens and pigs. I am also still working on finding a good load for Michael Jackson’s gorgeous Wesson Long Range rifle in 40-82. I shot it at turkeys and rams. It’s a shooter, I just need to get the load fine tuned. Dad is interested in shooting the 38-55 and we have one for him I need to find time to fine tune. Lots of fun for sure!

Several of our shooters are all heading up to the Quigley match in Montana this week. I hope they all have a great time, we will be anxiously waiting for news from the match. We still have room in our August matches, so if anyone is interested in coming, please let us know. Also, after visiting with the shooters at the match yesterday, they thought it would be a good idea to have a match on the fourth Saturday of July. After clearing it with Corlaee, we are planning a match at Smithmoor West on July 23rd. It is going to be a special one, so watch for an email. Put it on your calendar.

Take care my friends,

Cody