20:1 or 30:1 that is the Question...............

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bad Ass Wallace

Post by Bad Ass Wallace »

Kelley,

My lube recipe is 4 parts pure beeswax, 3 parts copha (processed coconut oil), 1 part Virgin Olive oil. Can't tell the performance difference between this and SPG but the bloody dog keeps coming in the gun room & chewing up my lube!

'Buff' really is a good dog, and probably knows more about reloading & casting than half the shooters in Oz. Ate a half stick of SPG one day and has had this fetish ever since? Same with Coke, knocks over anyone's can to get it if he can.

I run my own business 70-80hrs a week and used the Lanotec once because I didn't have time to make up a batch. Darn stuff worked brilliantly so I'm trying it in other guns also.
Hold still Varmint, while I plugs yer!
deerhuntsheatmeup

Texas Shooter

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

TS, In my opinion, with the Sage's selection of bullets available, I would buy a hundred of the PJ's and a hundred of the Lyman 457132 and give both a try. Your gun will tell you what it likes. Pauls nose is great , the Lyman's bore riding sections works well, so we have to find a happy medium that is good all around. I would think that trial and error in both rifles would be called for as the velocity will be different in the two calibres you asked about.

My 2 cents, Later, David Barfield
N2

Post by N2 »

Texas Shooter - Neither Coolidge/Mexia or Graham have web sites, however results of the last match shot at Mexia can be found on the Yaupon Creek web site (www.yauponcreek.org). From Frisco you have a couple of additional options for silhouette. Oklahoma City (http://members.cox.net/okc.gunclub.html) isn't that far north (about 3 hours) and Fort Chadborne is about the same distance away near Abilene. Yaupon Creek is pretty far south between Houston and San Antonio, but it's doable. Fort Wolters (Mineral Wells) holds long range shoots (800-1000 yards) a couple of times a year and there's a 625 yard gong match in Meridian (west of Lake Whitney) I believe on the fourth Saturday of each month. If you have a rifle you'll be welcome at any one of these matches. If not you can probably find someone who'll let you pop off a few rounds with theirs.

If you are just getting started you shouldn't worry to much about the differences between 20:1 and 30:1 nor the thickness of the wad you choose to start with. Pick an alloy and a wad and go with it until you have a little experience, then start experimenting. - Nick
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

T S ! I have shot the alloys from 1 to 35 ,30 ,25, 22 till i got to 1 to 20 which started to give me good groups with my barrels ! If you are shooting bullets in the low velocity range then these softer alloys should work other wise just start out at 1 to 20 and try working your way down into a softer alloy to see if it will work for you ! I did this to try to save on tin to start with ! Now i will be working with 1 to 18 and 1 to 16 alloy as i have done with muzzleloader slugs in the past ! JAGG
JAGG
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

You all have been very helpful.

I will do as you recommended and start with a basic load and see what it likes.

Lucinda said July was when it would be here. I at least have enough to go make some smoke and dial things in.

N2

Thanks for the tips on the local shoots. It will be a blast to shoot at 500+ targets. I will also be nice to start meeting the actual shhoters. This forum is nice, but nothing beats the smell of the powder and the bang of the gun.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
HvyMtl

Pins & needles

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Texas Shooter

Good luck when you get your new rifle. I've been fooling around with this BPCR for a short period of time. I just went to my first silhouette match, I did really lousy but I had a real good time. I sometimes shoot #1 at my local gun club BP shoots but thats only 100 yds. I'm trying to figure out how I can go back to 100 yds. after shooting 550 yds and actually hitting something. I cast my own bullets from 20-1 lead ( maybe thats my problem ) Just kidding, I shoot less than a 1" group at 100 yds. Thats with 63 gr. of Goex cartridge grade and a Postel bullet cast from a Lyman mold, my rifle is a Farmingdale Shiloh Sharps.

Well my point is, when I realized I was going to the shoot I also realized I didn't have enough Postel bullets and not enough time to mold some more. I ended up using a Smitzer ( hope I spelled this correctly ) I only had 30 of them, but they ended up shooting better than the postel bullet both cast of 20-1 lead. So after reading all this info. on your posted question I will now try 25-1 & 30-1

Thanks

Ken