Real Black Powder + Poly Coated Bullets + Lube

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jharg

Real Black Powder + Poly Coated Bullets + Lube

Post by Jharg »

Hello,

I want to know your thoughts and opinions on the following concept ...

Poly Coated Bullets (I like the reduced lead exposure)
Lube them with SPG Lube
Shoot with Traditional Swiss FF black powder.

I am hoping this will be a good combination?

Thank you.
Tomklinger

Re: Real Black Powder + Poly Coated Bullets + Lube

Post by Tomklinger »

Use good hygiene, and you won’t have a problem with lead exposure……
Tom
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

If you plan to compete with the coated bullets you will find they are banned in most of the shoots. At least the ones I go to. For plinking it could be a winner. As to lead exposure, after casting 80 to 100 bullets every day for six weeks I went for a blood test. No sign of lead but then like the man said I wash my hands before I eat a sandwich.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

wont work... there is a reaction with the BP when you shoot and it causes instant pitting in your barrel.

JK...but most matches will not allow you to use them
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Chief TC

Post by Chief TC »

bpcr shooter wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:04 pm wont work... there is a reaction with the BP when you shoot and it causes instant pitting in your barrel.

The OP wrote poly not moly and I am not sure of the similarities of the two. I use moly coated bullets from Bear Creek and I have had zero issues with this combo. Shoots great and no adverse affects per the science. Both in old and modern barrels. I think all the horror stories are people not cleaning properly. BP all by itself can ruin a barrel.
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

Tomklinger wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:07 pm Use good hygiene, and you won’t have a problem with lead exposure……
Tom
+1 on good hygiene

I spent 30 year career as the county and then state health inspector, and I can tell that the simple act of washing your hands prevents a multitude of diseases and illnesses.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Chief TC wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:20 pm
bpcr shooter wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:04 pm wont work... there is a reaction with the BP when you shoot and it causes instant pitting in your barrel.

The OP wrote poly not moly and I am not sure of the similarities of the two. I use moly coated bullets from Bear Creek and I have had zero issues with this combo. Shoots great and no adverse affects per the science. Both in old and modern barrels. I think all the horror stories are people not cleaning properly. BP all by itself can ruin a barrel.
The end result is still the same, we cant use coated bullets for matches. So for the most of us, its pointless to try and find a load that works with them.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

The OP asked if this would work not if it could be used in matches. Has anyone tried this and does it work?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I have done it in a 38 wcf levergun and it worked ok
Don’t know how it would work in a larger cartridge but if a person is curious about it there’s only one way to find out
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Chief TC

Post by Chief TC »

The moly coated bullets perform extremely well in both my Trapdoor and Sharps. I use both Bear Creek's 500 and 520 grain bullets. The BHN is around 13 and the accuracy I get from these is very good. Even my 130 yr old Trapdoor loves them and I can easily ring steel at 500yds (haven't had the opportunity yet to try further) I read a lot about moly coated cast bullets before I started to use them and talked to people that had zero issues as compared to the internet horror stories. There is no chemical reaction with molybdenum, lead and the barrel that is going to ruin the barrel or trap moisture. Supposedly there are issues with jacketed bullets and molybdenum but I don't use them, so I haven't researched it. One of the reasons I use them is because I can get them larger than .459 where as you can't with Chey-cast or MBW. I was reading the rule books for silhouette and long range BPCR and there is no mention of not using coated bullets. Anyone have any idea why certain venues do not allow coated bullets? I use MBW 535 Postell bullets and they are awesome.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Be my guess the people in that club that mine the lead to reuse don't want it mucking up their lead pots. You will see a time when range owners won't allow ammo loaded with poly wads either just green bio degradable. It allready happening in Europe and England with rules prohibiting plastic wad use for shotgunners. Federal brought out their green line last year with biodegradable paper wads including a shotcup. Bobw
bobw
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Don't pick your nose while you are casting bullets and you will be alright. :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Ah come on Smoke, what's the fun of that?

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SharpsBig50

Post by SharpsBig50 »

I suspect if you are casting the bullets yourself that is where most of the exposure is from. Shooting them will add very little vaporized lead unless you’re shooting at an indoor range with poor ventilation.

Have you considered that whatever is in the powder coat may not be any better for you than lead?
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

we are all going to die from something " give me liberty or give me death" but not right now :D :D art