Federal 150 Primers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Old-Win

Federal 150 Primers

Post by Old-Win »

Federal 150 or 150M primers are almost impossible to find. Do you guys find them that much better than say the Winchester Large Pistol primer or a Remington 2 1/2 primer? Sometimes these can be found for sale and I'm just wondering if any of you see a big difference in the large pistol brands?
GrumpyBear

Re: Federal 150 Primers

Post by GrumpyBear »

I have a friend who likes the Rem 2 1/2 pistol primer as well as the Federal match pistol, and he is a master class shooter in silhouette.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I get smaller groups with Fed150's than the Win LP in my 38-55, Its not by much but noticeable. In my 45acp an10mm, Ive never noticed a difference. If it were me (and its not) Id buy what you can and find/build a load around that for as long as you can.

As far as reliability, Id say its a horse a piece.......

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

I too use Fed 150,but ran out. Soo, I tried some Rem 2 1/2s. Could not measure and difference between the two.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

The Remington Large Pistol primers have worked extremely well in my .40-65, although I now use Fed LP. Mostly due to availability.

Chris.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Bob,
The primer to use in a given cartridge is most dependent on the powder you are using.
I use Rem 2.5, Fed 150M, and WLP primers, but not interchangeably in the same cartridge.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
dbm

Post by dbm »

I’ve just bought some large pistol primers here in the UK to give a try with. I’ve read and had some advice that the primers are slightly shorter than large rifle, and that paper in the primer pocket can be used to even this out. Those using LP primers, do you find this necessary? Thanks.

David
www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/researchpress
Historical Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
Woody

Post by Woody »

I use Rem 2 1/2 LP in my Ballard High Wall 45-70 and Shiloh 45-90. I do not use a paper wad in the primer pocket, but some people do. Some have found that pistol primers without the paper wad can damage the face of your block around the firing pin hole. After more than 20 K rounds through the high wall I have no damage. I have only a couple thousand rounds through the Shiloh 45-90, but again no damage. I found no benefit using the wad, so stopped. Some have also swaged the primer pocket to change it to a pistol pocket. I played with that too, and dropped it as not necessary. I did find that pistol primers do not like original large diameter firing pins found in original period rifles. They tend to pierce. Not a good thing. Your results may vary.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
dbm

Post by dbm »

Thanks for the feedback. I have Rem 2 1/2 and chance to shoot at 500 & 600 yards in a week. It’ll be interesting to try them.

David
www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/researchpress
Historical Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

For the .40-65 Shiloh that I use pistol primers in, I happen to have a bunch of brass with the primer pockets cut too short so they only hold large pistol primers. In other rifles that I use pistol primers ( mostly CPA's and a couple of CSA highwalls ) I use paper in the pocket to space the primer out.

Chris.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

dbm wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:21 am I’ve just bought some large pistol primers here in the UK to give a try with. I’ve read and had some advice that the primers are slightly shorter than large rifle, and that paper in the primer pocket can be used to even this out. Those using LP primers, do you find this necessary? Thanks.

David
Yup, most folks do.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"