PP Question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

PP Question

Post by SSShooter »

Do all you successful PP shooters use bore-pigs of some sort? Am wondering if I can get away with simply running the single wet patch that I currently use with greasers?
Glenn
semtav

Re: PP Question

Post by semtav »

Not claiming the successful part, but the short answer is NO
Takes a couple 2 to 3 depending on heat and humidity.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

In my 45-70 I always use two damp patches, unless it is very hot, then a wet followed by a damp patch. A single patch is not consistent enough for good accuracy.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

In my 45-70 I always use two damp patches, unless it is very hot, then a wet followed by a damp patch. A single patch is not consistent enough for good accuracy.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Two wets then a dry pushed thru with a nylon brush on a rod will work until the temp gets up and the humidity down then you might need 3 or 4 wet
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

I was wondering if “too wet” is a concern, especially when water drips out the end of the barrel, like when using the BACO bore pigs or using “soaking” wet patches in contrast to “damp” patches. When using 4-5 patches at a gong shoot it can impact the shooter’s ability to gauge wind or crank in new sight settings.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

I use 2 damp 2-1/4 inch square cotton flannel patches followed by a dry. It ALWAYS takes at least 2 damp and the dry is still pushing out fouling. I use tap water for my patches. Shooting a 45-70 with 78 grains of OE 1.5 powder.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Currently I am using my home made bore pigs, a bristle brush arrangement with 2 felts and washer. I run them soaking wet followed by 1 or 2 dry as needed. Can not fault the loads accuracy, eyesight yes.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

For silhouette I don’t think there is any way around it. The Wipers that Brent uses followed by a 2.5” flannel fry patch. Wiper and patch all in one pass. I use a modified version of the Brent wiper in my 38 just because I don’t know if they make an appropriate size neoprene washer so instead I use the baco squeegee thingy to help carry the moisture out. As far as being to wet? I don’t think there is such a think. When I push the wiper and patch through black water comes pouring out of the muzzle. I will say though that if the back of the baco squeegee is wet then my chamber is wet. After soaking if I store the wipers in an mtm ammo box so that the squeegee is dry or “dryish” then the chamber is much more dry.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

mike herth wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:54 pm I was wondering if “too wet” is a concern, especially when water drips out the end of the barrel, like when using the BACO bore pigs or using “soaking” wet patches in contrast to “damp” patches. When using 4-5 patches at a gong shoot it can impact the shooter’s ability to gauge wind or crank in new sight settings.
Mike,

I ran into a major problem with bore leading by using patches that were too wet - so much so that the solution dripped out of the breech & into the action when inserting a patch. It took me a while (several matches) to figure out the cause of the leading. The following is an article I wrote on the problem & solution.

http://www.texas-mac.com/My_BPCR_Bore_Leading_Saga.html

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

The rifle will tell you if the patches or bore wipers are to wet. One of my 44-77’s opens the groups up with dual diameter bullets if the wipers oar little more than damp
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

I've started using a 'bore mop' (410 bore mop works well in my 40-65) to remove excess moisture as I was having a case stretching problem. Only used at one match, but had one mildly stretched case rather than 25 or 30.

Thanks for the replies.

I notice that most folks use considerably more effort in wiping with PP then folks do with greasers.
Why is it more important to have a cleaner barrel with PP then with greasers?
Glenn
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

If the barrel is not clean and dry you’ll start to get quite big velocity variations. It doesn’t seem to bother grease grooved bullets as much. Maybe it’s because of the increased friction with pp bullets. With PP bullets the bore can’t ever be too clean or dry from what I’ve found.

Chris
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

If the barrel is not clean and dry you’ll start to get quite big velocity variations. It doesn’t seem to bother grease grooved bullets as much. Maybe it’s because of the increased friction with pp bullets. With PP bullets the bore can’t ever be too clean or dry from what I’ve found.

Chris
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I shoot nothing but pp, for years now, 45-90 and 45-110's. My thoughts on cleaning the bore between shots consists of (2) 2 1/4" square Pro-Shot 100% cotton flannel patches (Item#2 1/4-750) dampened with a 1/10 ratio of Napa cutting oil, and water. I use a 3/8" delrin wiping rod. My patches aren't dripping wet, neither are they at the point of being too dry to do the job in extreme heat where the barrel gets too hot to handle barehanded. I've experimented with using three 'damp' cleaning patches to wipe with, but see no benefit in doing this because the third patch comes out of the bore just as white as it entered. After two damp patches I push one dry patch through the bore, then mop the chamber dry. That's it.

Btw, I use the factory 100% cotton Pro-Shot flannel patches because they scrub the bore well, and also dry it well too. I've purchased cotton flannel material at the fabric store to experiment with, but I've found the 'sheen' on their cotton flannel material just doesn't do the job as well as Pro-Shot's patches. So, I use the 'keep it simple, stupid' routine. It works.

I use 9# 100% white cotton paper for patching, set 1/8" above the bullet's ogive to virtually and consistently eliminate bore leading.

Nuf said. Hope this helps some,
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.