Paper-patching supplies..

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Paper-patching supplies..

Post by opencountry »

I’m believing my two sons will pass on to their children this wonderful tradition that we enjoy today here in America. I’ve stockpiled enuf 9# paper to make this happen. Let’s hope nothing takes this freedom from us, men and women!
Let’s be found doing all that it takes.
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
AzTBH

Re: Paper-patching supplies..

Post by AzTBH »

Robert

That is quite a nice collection of #9 paper with a wide range of cotton content. I wet wrap with Seth Cole 55W (8 lb.) and Cole 55Y (7 lb.) paper and I have been happy with it in both ease of wrapping and performance. I could not find, with a brief Google search, the cotton content of Seth Cole paper, but it works so I have no need to change. I am interested however, if you have noticed it easier to wrap with the 100% cotton paper than the lower cotton content paper?

Thanks,
Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

My experience with 100% cotton rag paper is that it is harder to wrap bullets than if the rag content is 25%.
Unless I was going to hunt with my PP bullets, any paper will do. I have used a lot of 10.5 pound bond paper, and it works well.
Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Ross, I find very little difference, if any, in the wrapping or in the performance of the cotton/wood papers compared to the 100% cotton paper. The cotton/wood paper measures .0005” thinner that the 100% cotton. I wrap them all dry. And, I find no change of impact on target.

Robert
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

Thanks for your replies Mike T and Robert. Prior to your responses, I was thinking cotton paper (like soft cotton clothing) would be more compliant and easier to wrap. Looks like I will be sticking with the Seth Cole 55 since it is working fine for me.

Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Ross, if you would, what is the diameter of your swaged bullet before patching? And, does your patched bullet fit snugly up into the throat/bore when chambering? My rounds do. I’ve read others, particularly Kenny Wasserburger, mention that he’s getting better accuracy shooting a ‘fat’ bullet patched with Seth Cole 55W velum paper.

Robert
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

The only difference I can see between 100% cotton rag and wood fiber is the cotton holds up better in a damp chamber if your shot gets held up. Wipers and cleaners don’t have this problem.
Which isn’t a problem.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks Dean,
I’ve shot both (cotton & wood) myself, and find no difference in performance. There’s a mute difference (to me, that is) in how they wrap to the bullet.
I’ve been shooting a lot lately, pushing myself out on the windiest of days; been learning to become ‘one’ with my favorite rifle, my 16# 45-110.
Robert
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

Robert

The details of the Paul Jones 40023 are pictured below. Relative to your “fit snugly” question, the wet-patched bullet stays in the bore when an unfired case is extracted and has to be pushed out with a nylon bore rod. It also fits tight at the muzzle end

Good Shooting,
Ross
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Nice, Ross. Mine are the same. My right thumb is strong! I recently made a 5/8” dia. X 8” long willow dowel to help with this. At 72 years (young, not old) I use my brain a little more.

Robert
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Ross, and anyone/everyone else, it’s been up to 105 degrees and above here lately in Washington States’ SE corner. My 16# 110’s get mighty hot after a string of shots. My 12# ‘90 as well. I soaked a hand towel, wrung out the excess, and wiped the barrel down to get it to shoot back in the group at 200 yds. at the local shooting range.
I’ve shot 300 to 1,000 yd. completions before, and remember how stinkin’ hot my barrel was after 600, 800 and 1,000-yd. relays, so hot I had to pick it up off the ground with a glove or towel.
Can the heavy barrel get so hot that it actually physically slumps, making a vertical string of shots? How do you deal with this? Is there a good ‘method’ of cooling the barrel in this extreme heat, or do you just adjust for it with the sights?
I would think that a warm barrel would shoot more accurately than a really hot barrel, the bore becoming a little larger in diameter when really hot.
Robert
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Opencountry...you could try peeing down the barrel...lol could not resist that. Pour some water down the blow tube.
Cheers Richard
PS During the Army trials of the early Browning side arm after packing the semi auto in mud and sand the Browning rep pulled it out and peed all over the pistol and down the bore and the rest is history. That’s a story I heard when I was a kid about 70 years ago.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Richard,
Regarding pouring water down the barrel, let’s just see how many others confirm doing this.
Robert
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Fair enough Robert. I and many other run water wet patches down the bore between shots and unless your barrel is close to cherry red, running water down the barrel won’t hurt.
Cheers Richard
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I’ll give it a try, Richard.
Robert