Hunter's friend..

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Joe Burr

Hunter's friend..

Post by Joe Burr »

Anyone out there aware of anyone producing the "hunter's friend"? It was a belt sheath containing a couple of knives and a steel that apparently was available to the Buffalo Hunter's of old... Thanks.

Joe Burr
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I think I just saw that exact sheath in a catalog from Knoval?? knives. I saw it at a friends desk in MO and I'm in TX right now, but if that isn't the right catalog let me know and I'll find out for sure. I was interested also, it holds the boning and the skinning J. Russell knives and a steel.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Lee Stone
Todd Birch

"Hunter's Friend"

Post by Todd Birch »

Looks like the set worn by one of the figures in Fred Fellows painting. Being rookies, they didn't have skinners doing the job behind them.

He told me that he used a set he found in a museum. There must have been any number of variations available from cutlery suppliers.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

I have been thinkin' about making one. I have pictures of a few examples and think I can do it...good leather and hand stitched. I already have the knives and the steel...If it works out I could try and make one to your design...
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Todd Birch

Buffalo gutters

Post by Todd Birch »

I've only been involved in the evisceration of one buffler and it was a chore for four men. I don't recall what knives we used but it was work.

I was warned that it was moose x 4 and that was no exaggeration. What really surprised me was how hard it was to remove the gut bag. It didn't roll out like it does with a deer or moose. Two men up to their elbows in the body couldn't dislodge it.
We ended up using the ranchers tractor to hoist it and let gravity help.
I think we need "Buffalo Gutting 101" as a topic on the forum. Bullet placement too.

The whole time this process was going on, the rest of the herd was milling around sniffing the blood and pawing the earth. One of us was posted with the .45-90 at hand.

Not a very cool thing to do! We were very green.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Yeah...killin and skinnin buff for a living must have really sucked at times. Like hunting deer, I don't mind the shooting part but the work starts when you have an animal on the ground......Moose X 4 - hahaha - haven't heard that one before but it hits home....
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Thanks for the replies.

Lee Stone, that is sort of the idea...the outfit I've seen had far less with it though. It had a ripping knife, a skinning knive, I think a boning knife and a steel.

Ken, I was on the web site you mentioned, only had a chance for a quick, didn't find it at the time, but I will keep looking.

I beleive I saw the outfit on the cover of BPCR news at one point...I'll have to my issues out and try and find it.