Washing bore wipes

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Perentie

Washing bore wipes

Post by Perentie »

Just made some bore wipes for my 40-2.5 using pistol brushes and the BACO felts.
I read that some just put them in a bag with the family washing but what happens when one runs low on a 2 or 3 day shoot. The front felt can be replaced easily but the rear is harder as I had to stretch each hole with a tapered rod to get them over the thread.
Just interested in more ideas?
kwilliams

Re: Washing bore wipes

Post by kwilliams »

On my 2nd year with my bore pigs and felts, been giving them a soak and shake in a plastic jug using Oxiclean and water. Even between relays if needed, works great.
kw
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Don’t wash or soak felts in hot water.
Richard
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I've been soaking them in Oxyclean, and removes most of the discoloration as I rinse them several times in cold water and spread them on blue shop towels out of the sun to dry for several days before I reuse them. I have a good enough supply that I can shoot two 60 shot matches without needing to reuse felts.

Someomne told me that Oxyclean shortens the life of the felts. I haven't seen that so far, but aI've only used them 5-8 times.

At his recommendation, I used Dawn to clean the felts after the last match. They are much darker than when cleaned with Oxyclean.

I plan to isolate a supply.sue them repeatedly and clean them in Oxyclean, to test his concern.

Clarence
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Oxyclean will destroy them in a couple years time.

Been there done that.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Clarence wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:12 am I've been soaking them in Oxyclean, and removes most of the discoloration as I rinse them several times in cold water and spread them on blue shop towels out of the sun to dry for several days before I reuse them. I have a good enough supply that I can shoot two 60 shot matches without needing to reuse felts.

Someomne told me that Oxyclean shortens the life of the felts. I haven't seen that so far, but aI've only used them 5-8 times.

At his recommendation, I used Dawn to clean the felts after the last match. They are much darker than when cleaned with Oxyclean.

I plan to isolate a supply.sue them repeatedly and clean them in Oxyclean, to test his concern.

Clarence
Thanks . Do you remove both felts from the brushes before washing, or only the front felt, or wash the whole brush and felts at once?
I have a heap of felts but not many brushes and wondered how long a felt could be used before replacing.
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I use a nappy wash that I found in the laundry, (it's been there a while because our youngest son, Blair, is nearly 16) and run them in the rotary tumbler for about 45 minutes. Rinse with cold water a few times and lay out on a towel to dry. I use the Buffalo Arms spike and grommet things so I'm only washing the felts. I haven't kept track of how long they last, when they get a bit ordinary, I throw them away. I've maybe thrown 40 away in the 7 years I've been using them. That's total between the .40 and .45 cal. that I use.
P.S. I did run them in a bag in the clothes wash once, I sorta got in trouble for the "fragrance" that it left in the clothes...
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I wash the whole felt/brush asm. at one time. I buy the German felts and they have lasted for many shots. Replace a few now and then as needed.
kw
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Pzarentie,

I'm using the Buffalo Arms system, so no brushes.

Kenny,

Thanks for the long-term test results--no need to repeat the test. What do you use?

Clarence
semtav

Post by semtav »

I use oxy, and they do get the felt whiter, but some wind up with a caked look.
I accidentally got a grain of it on a shell, with a little moisture and it corroded the spot on the shell real bad.

Might have to find something else.

Curious why no hot water tho.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Good topic! Cold Water Tide anyone? Woolite? Semtav, do you wash your wool sweaters in hot water?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Clarence,

I use a fine garment bag in the washing machine.

Kenny
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

semtav wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:37 pm Curious why no hot water tho.
Your 45 cal felts will turn into 38 cal felts :-)

Chris.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I bought bulk quantity felts in bags of 500, and figured I'd have plenty if I ever needed to replace any. I put the whole bore pig in a old pillowcase and tie it shut with a nylon zip tie. Toss them in the laundry with my old blue jeans, and wash on cold with just laundry detergent. Lay them out to dry, and replace any felts that usually fall off during wash cycle.
Haven't used any of my spares yet, but only built my bore pigs a year ago, so we'll see how they last.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Thanks, Kenny!

Clarence