Intro BIO/ THANKS Shiloh.../Question

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

Re: Intro BIO/ THANKS Shiloh.../Question

Post by SSShooter »

JeffFaldo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:20 pm Must be getting old. I don't recall any of the others still operating when I was on Bainbridge in the 80's. Were they actually operational or were they mothballed? OK I went and did some research and stand corrected.
Believe all CGN's were decommissioned (stricken) in the '90's for the same reason.
When we (the Enterpise) were operating with the Bainbridge in '71 it shot down a MIG ~60 miles away along the coast of N. Vietnam. Forgotten which missile system it carried at the time, but recall they were considerably larger than the ones on my first ship, DDG-5 USS Claude V. Ricketts.
Glenn
JeffFaldo

Post by JeffFaldo »

Was the Terrier Missile system. I was a GMT originally then they combined rates and we all became GMM. I was no longer working on the ASROC system and was exclusively working on the Terrier.

Capt. Petry once you get used to that Shiloh you need to make a trip out west and shoot the big shoots out here. Gotta experience Quigley at least once. There are many others though that are not quite so crowded.
captpetryusn

Post by captpetryusn »

A late "thank you" for all of your friendly input, information and suggestions. As I settle in here and learn which end to point I believe I will have a lot more questions. I want to go to the Quigley to at least attempt as it is on my "Bucket List" for June of 23' and beyond. I have read all about it many times, gone thru the.... what to bring list, Have a designated spotter ( at least for now) with a 4 wheel drive PU and a camper on its back. we have started working together, Studied the charts to see how far/route, etc. I have started my struggles to achieve the right bullet, powder/charge/primer, and the notorious "1 MOA". That makes me chuckle!!! I know some Bullet makers in Vermont...

I ride Harley's and the focus is around the "Journey" which I believe in. So this journey for me will be quite interesting, rewarding, and above all fun while I fall down the mountain and climb the other side. The great thing is as always; accomplishing it with shipmates.

Again, apologize for the late response to all, just had a lot to do.

r/Pete
captpetryusn

Post by captpetryusn »

Capt. Petry wrote: ↑Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:17 am
SSShooter... Bainbridge , Maryland, (71-02) You?
My long time friend LCDR Bill McPherson was a Nuc DLGN sailor.
There are always many people to thank that have contributed to our personal success!
Pete
Also Bainbridge, 69-01. Not much left of NTC Bainbridge these days. A few empty buildings and a bunch of foundations.
Was McPherson a red-head? Seem to remember our MPA, who become the Engineer, was McPherson, if memory serves.
Gordon Clefton, a name you may know (subs) shoots with us. He was academy, mid-60's and worked for the AEC (forgotten the subsequent name) for many years before retiring.

They shoot BPCR on a 'short range' (300yd) around Orlando somewhere. The nearest full-distance (500m) range will be River Bend in Dawsonville, GA or another in MS (forgotten the name). Tom Klinger, who posts here, is a good person to contact about BPCR shooting in the FL area. He is also a gunsmith if you need any help in that department.

The SE Regional is mid-Oct at River Bend. See the announcement for same in the 1st forum on this board. You should join us for all the fun and meet many, if not most of the BP shooters in FL & GA as well as several from as far away as TX, VA & PA. Its a great match.

SSShooter.....Bill was not the engineer, he was enlisted at that time.
AEC became the Energy Research and Development Administration under the U.S. Department of Energy and the Nuclear regulatoryCommission.
I have a 200 yd. range at Two rivers in Kingsland,Georgia, and have been to the 500yd. range outside of Brunswick, Ga. which could be the range you are talking about called "Patriots".
I will look into the River Bend.

Thanks!
Pete
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

Hello,

I am from WY and shoot at River Bend in Jan & Feb. It is a very good range, super matches with some very awesome shooters; good people. Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone is very friendly and more than willing to help out. Also, the day before the match Doug ususally has the range open for practicing or load checking.

https://www.rbgc.org/content.aspx?page_ ... ction=cira

This is the web page. Look for Buffalo Rifle Match.
28Jan'23
25Feb'23

I hope to see you in Jan/Feb. January can be iffy because of the weather so make sure you check.

#1 RB Shooter

"There are no shortcuts when loading BPCR Silhouette match grade ammo."
Luke

Post by Luke »

USN 85-05 Master-at-arms. Welcome aboard. Stay out of the brig and we'll get along just fine. :wink:
Limber Up!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Hmmm, Florida Crown, Fernandina, Nassau County, St. Mary's River, Cumberland Island. All very familiar. 60 years ago before I went WEST. Texas now Arizona. From the Jacksonville, Beach, Mayport, St. Augustine, Florida area.

Is your Shiloh a 45 caliber? If so, maybe some of the folks here could spot you some bullets to try before you buy a mould, that is of course unless you dream of also becoming a mould collector. Loading quality BP ammo is not really difficult but it is different than loading smokeless.

You mentioned Long Range. To me that means 800, 900 & 1,000 yards. If so you have some travelling to do. One of the best long range shooters around lives down in SW Florida which is about as far away in Florida from you as he can get and still be in Florida. BUT, if you really are interested in learning how to shoot Long Range Blair is the man to see.

Then if you decide you want to really shoot long range just jump on Interstate 10 and head west to Anthem/Phoenix, Arizona, to shoot the Desert International. Seven consecutive days of Black Powder Target Rifle at Ben Avery Shooting Facility. End of March first of April 2023 as posted above.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
captpetryusn

Re: Question regarding Rifle substitution for training

Post by captpetryusn »

I found and finally joined the Georgia Coastal Gun Club which is a members owned organization west of Brunswick, Ga. A well run club that has at least up to 600 yd. dingers. I was kinda handtied with 200 yds. with a club in Kingsland, Ga. My son is recovering from a double stroke which set back my shooting and other things as well. I failed to make Quigley this year which just occurred. So as they say in the submarine world, "I went silent and deep."

The question I have is this..... to save on the operating costs of pulling the trigger on my Shiloh, do you think that trigger time on a 45 colt 1873 Winchester 30-inch barrel (Vernier sights) substituting SOME "practice time" at 300-500 yds would add "quality time" for training even though it is not the real McCoy. Trigger pull, breathing, response to recoil, looking at target, zero sighting etc. gun placement in shoulder etc.....

Goal: to use less powder (4 to 1 bullet ratio) but get as much trigger time as possible OR am I wasting the extra powder I am saving, by not shooting the Shiloh?
Good to be back,
Pete
bobw

Post by bobw »

No man knows how much time he has. Anytime you are not shooting a Shilohgun you are pissing away your time. You need to remember that the Sharps made the frontier safe for winchester shooters with dink loads and puny bullets. If those Sharps back then had been built by Shiloh the buffalo wouldn't have lasted as long nor near as many native Americans would have survived. There ain't no trading shiloh shooting with anything else to equal it. Way I see it last 13 days I used 360 rds of ppb's and bp. bobw
bobw
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

" You need to remember that the Sharps made the frontier safe for winchester shooters with dink loads and puny bullets." -- bobw

Bob: I heard it said that Hawken made the West safe for Sharps.... :lol:
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
bobw

Post by bobw »

Ray, them that said that were on dope and it distorted their reality
.bob
bobw
Luke

Post by Luke »

Looking back I realized I just missed you a couple of times: Was aboard Ike 86-88, and George Washington 95-97. Rode the VIrginia 89-92. She really sticks out in my memories as I was aboard her during the "Perfect Storm" in 91. Sailing with STANAVFORLANT, only time I really got truly gawdawful seasick.
Limber Up!
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Why not just put one of the available .22 RF liners in and have at it at 100 and 200 yards will do you good service.
captpetryusn

Post by captpetryusn »

Regarding 22 LR tube insert, I Thought of that when I first bought the rifle and subsequently again several times, but I felt as though reaching out farther using a 45 colt 300 gr. RNFP bullet (reloads) I would have more recoil effect, as well as more wind, and a bit more challenging to look at down range. I don't know how many shooters in this particular sport have tried that and felt it served them well or just a waste of time. I had the 22 cal when first using handguns to practice, I get it, but in this sport does that serve you well when you input the other factors that challenge it ??

This would cost me about $1,300.00 to try with a new 30 inch barrel, however I can sell that rifle at the end, but you can't sell expended powder.

I am new to this sport, trying to ramp up, not waste money, but become a consistent quality shooter, I ain't 30, I am 71, kinda started on borrowed time.
captpetryusn

Post by captpetryusn »

Luke, I enjoyed both of those carriers, I did the 83" 9 month deployment on USS Ike when the terrorists bombed the Marine Barracks killing the 248 marines and civilians. We bombed the hell out of them alongside the battleship USS New Jersey in Lebanon. Did 2 tours on GW, RMA first time 90-92 (plank owner), Chief Engineer second tour 1997-2000 Persian Gulf when things started to heat up. I enjoyed driving the carriers, made subsequent ships handle like a small yacht. memorable days.

Pete