Intro BIO/ THANKS Shiloh.../Question

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

captpetryusn

Re: Intro BIO/ THANKS Shiloh.../Question

Post by captpetryusn »

Luke, by the way, I was the GW's CO's "Alongside Safety Officer" in the Persian Gulf, so when at "Texaco Station" I was on the auxiliary bridge, not in Damage Control Central.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Petry wrote: Regarding 22 LR tube insert, I Thought of that when I first bought the rifle and subsequently again several times, but I felt as though
reaching out farther using a 45 colt 300 gr. RNFP bullet (reloads) I would have more recoil effect, as well as more wind, and a bit more
challenging to look at down range. I don't know how many shooters in this particular sport have tried that and felt it served them well or
just a waste of time. I had the 22 cal when first using handguns to practice, I get it, but in this sport does that serve you well when you
input the other factors that challenge it ??

This would cost me about $1,300.00 to try with a new 30 inch barrel, however I can sell that rifle at the end, but you can't sell expended powder.

I am new to this sport, trying to ramp up, not waste money, but become a consistent quality shooter, I ain't 30, I am 71, kinda started on borrowed time.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Pfffttt, 71 years old is middle age on this forum. :lol:

Some great points have been made in response to your initial questions. You imply that you want to learn to shoot well. Having ruminated extensively as to whether or not to provide any input I arrived at a weak moment, so here goes. This is what I have learned.

Shooting well entails certain human factors that are learned through repetition. Basically, sight alignment and trigger control are where you start with when learning to shoot these rifles well. (Yes, I am skipping nit snit details to highlight the MOST important) Which are zeroed out in importance no matter how hard a holder you are if you do not have follow through. Essentially, speaking in generalities, if you are unable to maintain sight alignment, trigger control, AND, follow through until after the bullet leaves the muzzle everything else is for naught.

Even the best BPTR shooters (same applies to BPCR shooters but as the distance goes beyond 500M errors are magnified) have difficulty gauging their follow through when launching a 530 grain bullet backed by 80 grains of 1.5 Swiss, Until, the target pops up and they see where the bullet struck the paper or did not hit the target. :cry:

One of the best contemporary long range target shooters, that I know, uses a .22 insert in his 45-100 Shiloh and practices with it at 300 yards. WHY YOU SAY? Because he has learned that he can visually observe his maintenance of sight alignment through ignition without being disturbed by recoil. It is in this manner he builds muscle memory, to include hold, through trigger release to ignition to then transfer what has been internalized in muscle memory by shooting the same rifle with .22 ammunition when launching a 530 grain bullet pushed by about 87 grains of 1.5 Swiss.

Similar results can be achieved by dry firing in position; however, I won't dry fire my Shiloh.

If you want to shoot well, take a look at what those that do shoot well do. :wink:

The end result on the target (or not) depends exclusively on the summation of abilities demonstrated by the shooter firing the shot.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
captpetryusn

Post by captpetryusn »

Thank you all for your input.

R/Pete