To all accomplished Shiloh Rifle Shooters

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Tye, I don't know why you say you ain't accomplished :P . You are certainly accomplished at making humorous posts :lol: :shock: :roll: Good to see that you didn't allow anyone to run you completely out of internet town. :wink: What you need to do is learn how to use these twinky, smiley faced thingamabobs, and then you won't have to tell folks you are joking :idea: :!: :wink: And go ahead and feel free to brag, it hasn't stopped anyone else on these forums :P :shock: Good to see you back in action. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

TYRVR,

That was a big Accomplishment just making that post, you indeed are accomplished at the art of wit-a-sisim.

Kelley O. 8)
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

To All and Tye:

So far we have:

2 loads for 45-70
1 load for 45-110
1 load for 40-65

If anyone can add some addition "Proven loads" to this list it would be very helpful. We are still missing all the 50 caliber and a lot of the 40 caliber.

If you posted one of the mentioned loads and can contribute additional information it would sure be welcome. Remember the list of important item that would be helpful to know. Here they are again.

Other interesting facts might be:

Length of Barrel
Type of barrel (Regular, Heavy, Bull)
Twist rate
Powder brand
Powder size or type
wad/wads type and size
Bullet lube
Method of application
Primer type
Bullet style
bullet composition
Ratio of materials
Grease groove discription (Standard, modified)
Starting size of bullet
Finished size of bullet
Amount of compression
Brand of brass
Length of brass
Anealed?
Primer pocket modified?
Overall length
Unique assembly techniques
Brand and make of press
Brand and type of dies
Brand and type of other equipment
Sights type
insert types

Here is a summary of what has been contributed:

Gunny load 1 and load 2
The caliber is 45-70, it is a rebarreled Farmingdale Shiloh with a 34" barrel

Load One.-- Winchester Fireformed Brass " NOT SIZED"
Swiss 2fg Powder 68 grns "Not Drop Tubed"
No Compression
Winchester Large Pistol Primers
.060 LDPE Wad
Paul Jones Creedmoor 550 grns as cast from 30 to 1 ALLOY
Bullet for this load is set way out of the case, so that the second driving band is fully engaged in the rifling. There is "NO" neck tension. This load last year shot on Rams in 16 Silhouette matches a 151 rams.

Load Two,-- Stairline Fireformed Brass "Neck Sized" and expanded for .001 neck tension
Swiss 2fg Powder 61 grns "Drop Tubed 30 inches"
Compression is .095"
Federal 215 Mag Rifle Primers
.030 Veg Fiber Wad
Paul Jones Round Nosed Spitzer 536 grns as cast from 30 to 1
Bullet for this load is seated with all greese grooves covered. This is a new load for me and goes against all of the common wisdom for using Swiss Powder, that is Rifle Primers, Compression etc.

Don Marable Has contributed the following:
"Kenny Wasserbuger was referenced"

I shoot a Shiloh 45-110.
It is the Quigley model.
bullets in the 540 grain range, either Postell or Creedmoor by Lyman or Paul Jones,
Goex Fg. with 105 to 108 grains

Kirk and Family added the 40-65

40-65 Win. Load
Win. wlr primers
Rem. cases
DGL & pan lubed
Brooks turkey killer, 400 grain, as cast, 25-1, no front driving band
and tapered to hang 2 greese grooves into the rifling.
60 grains Goex ffg, dropped from a uniflow connected to the drop tube
and run through a modified Dillon 550.
.030 plastic wad covered with a paper wad and compressed
around .370" and then inline seated with no crimp.

Thanks we are making good progress.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
RMulhern

Accomplished

Post by RMulhern »

TYRVR

<<thats called bragging where I come from and folks look at you funny>>

Seems like somebody once said...."iffen ya kin doit......tain't braggin"!! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Buckskin George

Post by Buckskin George »

Good idea for a post. I have a 50-90 and a 45-110. My loads are really straight forward. For my 50-90 I load 100 grains of Goex FF behind a 530 grain bullet using bell brass and a federal mag primer. I was able to hit at 600 yards with this load in a recent competition. My load for the 45-110 is 100 grains of the same powder with a 535 grain bullet and a FMRP. Another hit at 600 yards. these rifles with this load shoot better than I can.. :lol:
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Hey Texas Shooter-

Suggestion.

How about you define what you mean/want as an "accomplished shooter."

Maybe there are some out there that feel the same way as TYRVR but are not kidding.

Hate to miss some good loads.
David
RMulhern

Accomplished shooter

Post by RMulhern »

Let's make this easy!

Accomplished Shooter= One whom knows which end of the rifle that the bullet exits from! :idea: :idea:
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

crazeyiven:

I left it Vague because I didn't intensionally want to leave anyone out. However, I did have in my request, "Accomplishments" either competition scores or ranking, or a pet load that a shooter can make easily with good/impressive reproducable results.

Is that better?

Let me know how this sounds.
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Buckskin George:

You didn't mention anything about wads, seating depth, compression.......and so on.

Try to make a contribution described well enough, so someone reading this board can put a cartridge together from it. Along with as accurate discription as possible as what you have been able to do with the load.

Make it so even a child can understand. (Otherwise it won't work for me ;-) )

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

To all:

Take a look at Kirks discription. His was one of the best so far. The documentation appears to be very complete and discriptive.

Sorry about so many post back to back.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Texas Shooter,

So we're supposed to say what class we shoot in, like Silhouette, Buffalo, gong, Mid-Range, Creedmoor and The International creedmoor. And what our average score's are for those shoots?

I didn't give you any loads because I thought you just wanted the loads for Shiloh rifles. I don't own or shoot a Shiloh, maybe one day I will.

Kelley O. 8)
TYRVR

Shuloh Loads:

Post by TYRVR »

Kelly, you done hit the nail on the dull side! now.....I have some loads that will shoot straight & far......but they don't do well in ever gun made since Andy Jackson was a corporal, I am following this topic like Al Gore trailing a Buddhist dollar! I would someday like to compare my pet recipes to them "accomplished" shooters, just for the fun!

Ol'Tye, applauding the Texas Shooter,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Texas Shooter-

That sounds great. The more inclusive, the better. The more data, the more correlations we can find.
David
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley O. Roos

What ever data someone could contribute, to help the reader validate the load for his or her specific purpose.

How successful someone was in competition when, where, what competition, would give the reader a chance to:

1) Get and idea of the performance of the load in actual field use (In competition the distance shot would be known to be accurate) or, if hunting, maybe the shooter is offhand at 75 yards.

2) Help the reader determine the shooting skills of the shooter relative to the performance.

With the better shooter at 1000 yards, the load looks great.
With a new shooter at 100 yards, the same load looks average.

It helps determine use and actual quality.

Is this helpful?

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Texas Shooter,

OK, I'll take a jab at this, I shoot in Master class for the BP disciplines I compete in. I've never kept my average Creedmoor scores, the last National Championship I competed in I placed in the top 22 out of over a 100 shooters. Mid-Range, I don't have a clue, as I don't keep track there either, would hazard a guess I'd be in the top 20. I shoot the Creedmoor and Mid-range for a change of pace and the fun. In Silhouette,(My favorite) my average for last year was 27 points for 24 competitions attended. At our state championships (Calif.) this year I was 1st master (second over all) and 1st AAA (third over all and moved up to master) in scope class. At our regional I fell on my butt and struggled all weekend. At the Texas state Championship placed 1st. master the first day with a 31 and hit the crapper or failed ot hit the crapper the second day and shot a 21. The Agg. score was good enough to be in the top ten in Texas.

I shoot a Meacham High-Wall 45-70,Krieger barreled 32" long, (My friend and I put the rifle together)for Silhouette. I haven't changed this load for over two years, even when I went to a new lot number of 3F Swiss. I have no trouble with fouling with this load even in hot weather and even when I have to shoot fast. Clean up is with 3 patch's of M.P.7, two patch's of Kroil and 1 patch oil. Jim Kirkland can varify the cleaning as he watched. I shoot a complete Silhouette match before cleaning, usualy 70 to 80 shoot's.

All case's,"Winchester", are match prepared,(annealed,even the primer pockets, neck turned, cut to proper length and segregated by weight.)
64G. of Swiss 3F..Drop tubed through a 32" tube, all charges by weight.
Federal 150M large pistol primers
.030Poly Wad.
newspaper wad between bullet base and poly wad.
The case's are neck sized only and expanded back so neck tension is exactly .002 of neck tension.
Bullet is seated to proper depth using a Meacham seating die.
powder is compressed using the bullet, I don't have any compression.O.A.L. is 3.050
A friends lube, I don't have or want the formula.
Loaded round will chamber .010 into rifling.

I have two loads for Creedmoor. I shoot a 45-90 Meacham High-Wall, put together by my friend and I. Krieger barreled and 32" long

Case's are Buffalo arms, preped as above.
84G Swiss dropped as above. Copmressed using a home made die.
Fed.150M. Primers.
.030 poly wad.
newspaper wad between bullet and poly wad.
P.J. 540G. Creedmoor.
Lube as above.
Bullet seated as above.
Loaded so round will chamber .010 into rifling.
Clean up as above.
#2.
Only thing different is powder,
89G.of Swiss 3F.

Sight's are C. Brockway Rear and S.Baldwin front use an aperture. I also use M.V.A. sights on other rifles I shoot.

Hope this helps,

Kelley O. 8)

As a side note, the 45-90 is silhouette legal and if you didn't know the rifles, 45-70 and 45-90, you couln't tell them apart. I didn't want to have to fumble around when I changed rifles to shoot Creedmoor or Silhouette. The barrels are marked for thjeir calibers.