To all accomplished Shiloh Rifle Shooters

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Now that I've put out on the internet my rifles and loads, I'm going to add this,

It's never going to be the rifle or load being shot, it's going to be the SHOOTER and how he's prepared mentaly, physically and how you approach a match. Sure a good load and rifle count, it's still the SHOOTER in the end.

Kelley O. 8)
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Hi Kelley, I am curious, what bullet and what weight bullet are you shooting? and what kind of velocity are you getting out of the .45-90? I haven't tried 3F of any brand in my .45-90 yet, big yet, but would be interested in knowing what vel, SD, ES, etc you get. I have done fairly well with Goex Ctg, which is supposed to be between 2F and 3F in grain size, and Swiss 1.5 and 2F. All four powders seem to work fairly well in my rifle.

Good to have you back posting, and hope to meet you one of these days :!: :D Due to circumstances beyond my control, I haven't been able to make any of the fun shoots so far this year, but hope to in the near future. Best regards, Randy
Randy Ruwe
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley O. Roos

Great Post!

Thanks for adding to the topic. Your final advice (Unfortunitly ;-) )
Is so very true. Your experiance and obvious skill level adds greatly to this content.

I hope some of the others will jump in also.

Thanks Again.

Best Regards,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Buckskin George

loads

Post by Buckskin George »

Here is more specific information on my 45-110 loads.
338 winchester brass from Buffalo Arms.
Federal Mag Rifle Primers.
535 grain bullet from Buffalo Arms cast from a Lyman die.
100 grains of Goex FF
.462 diameter vege wad at .030 thickness.
powder compressed approximately 1/8 inch.
bullet seated over all grease groves.
Brass is fully sized when new but only neck sized after being fire formed to the rifle.
Spg lube.
Overall length varies according to seating depth bullet size etc.
Reference book by Mike Venturino was a very good start.
Approximately 1350 fps.
My Rifle is a Shilo Sharps with a 34 inch tube.
I have had good results at all distances with this load. We shoot 5 shotstrings in competition off hand at 200 yards,cross sticks at 300 yards and gradually out to 600 yards. I am still calibrating my soule sight but have achieved excellent accuracy results with this load.
I plan several hunts this year with this rifle and expect to do well. I also use a blow tube in between shots to keep the fouling moist. I have not grouped the rifle at all distances but the steel goes clang! hope that this is more inline with what you had in mind,anyhow if anyone has questions just email me.I will do a post on my 50-90 later..Good shooting..
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Buckskin:

Thanks a lot, good post. I am sure this will be helpful for people. If there are any questions, hopefully they will ask, so the information can be more informative.

Since I have a 45-110 on order, I will definitely give this a try.

Can't wait for the 50-90.

Thanks again for posting.

Best Regards,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Buckskin George,

I will also be very interested in seeing your load data for your .50/90 as the one I have on order went into production just yesterday.

Thanks.
Lee Stone
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Omaha Poke,

I haven't tested all those loads over a cronograph. The only one I have tested was the 45-90 with 84G.of 1 1/2F Swiss and with a P.J. 540G. bullet was 1303 high and 1288 low volocity, es of 15 and sd. of 6..A group of 2 1/4 high by 2 3/8 wide was the shot at 200 yds..

I have my own Ohler Cronograph now so can do testing when I get the chance.

Kelley O. 8)
Buckskin George

loads

Here is my favorite 50-90 load
Bell Brass full length sized.
Federal Magnum Rifle Primer.
530 grain flat nose bullet from Buffalo Arms..512 diameter
spg lube.
seated with all lube groves covered.
vege fiber wad at .515 diameter and .030 thickness.
100 grains of Goex FF compressed 1/8 inch before seating the bullet.
My rifle is a Shilo with a 32 inch tube.
As with my 45-110 this rifle and load work well at all the distances. I can say that it too rings steel at 600 yards. I can move my soule sight from one rifle to the other and have seperate settings for each of course.
I use a blow tube with this rifle also.I shoot with cross sticks with both 50-90 and 45-110. The brass will hold 110 grains but I think that this load coupled with this bullet is all I need for hunting.
about 1350 fps. What really is encouraging to me is that when my shooting buddies in our cowboy action club shoot my rifles, they also hit well with them. I also have a load for 45-70 but it is a hunting load that I use in my 1886 Winchester. It has worked well in my friends single shot rifles as well. hope this post helps and always email me if I can be of further help.. :wink:
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Buckskin George
Question????????
How do you use 338 Winchester brass, :oops: That is a belter rimless case. I believe the 45 110 is a rimmed case without a belt. Is there some magic secret for making the metamorphesis on the case specs? or did you mean 348 cases? :oops:
Respectfully submitted.
Trigger Dr Jim Milner :lol: :lol:
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Just a thought,
Seems to me that several fellows, such as Paul A. Matthews, Steve Garbe, Mike venturino, and others, have kindly put together in various publications much information concerning the developement of BPCR loads. Why if such information might not work for your rifle? Still hoping to own a metallic cartridge Shiloh Sharps, I've read their works and have been fascinated by and encouraged by every word! They all say that doing your own homework is essential, but, perhaps, what they have to offer may aid a shooter just beginning.
If anything, I would say that Texas Shooter's idea is a good one, and despite the fact that every rifle is an individual, this accumulated data base may SOME one.
Indeed, the data gained might be valuable enough itself for a book format publication. I already see a tremendous amount of useful information in such a fresh post!
Respectfully, Gregg
Buckskin George

your are right. I must have confused the fingers. My cases are of course the rimless 348. Thanks I did not even notice the transposition of numbers.
Buckskin George

thanks for picking that up. It is indeed, 348 brass streched to the correct
length. I must have had a finger slip..Darn Computers!. good shooting and sorry about the mistake.
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Here's my 50-90 load.

It's a Borchardt, MVA soule and Brockway front, 32" Krieger barrel. The action is a rebuilt military with a one piece extend upper tang and the sight mount built in, all one piece, built by me, the upper tang that is. Jerry Vanwey put the rifle together. I've been thinking of taking the barrel off and building a 44 something for maybe a mid-range rifle. I'm also thinking on a Shiloh for a long range rifle, a 44 something again.I got all these ideas now that I've bought a lathe and am taking classes on how to become a machinst, I've even built some nice stuff so far. Now don't ask me how much stuff I've screwed up as thats a secret. :lol:

The load,

Case's are Bell Brass, preped as stated before.
648G. P.J. bullet.
Home made lube, ( I pan lube and shoot all my bullets as cast.)
WLR primers (old ones in white box)
.030 poly wads.
news paper wad between bullet and wad.
Swiss 1F. 94G.
Compressed .160(home made compression die)
Bullet seated just so it touches rifling.
Lyman seating die used to seat bullet.
O.A.L. 3.255

Kelley O. 8)
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley:

Thanks for the information on the 50-90 load. I appreciate your post. Were you thinking of a Shiloh Borchardt long range, or an 1874?

Your P.J. Bullet:
Is yours stock, or did you have it modified when it was built.

I have noticed they several folks order theirs modified. Is this for trial and error, or is it a good worthwhile idea?

Thanks again,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

gmartin:

Thanks for your post. Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't understand your post. Could you elaberate?

Some of my thoughts were in starting this string were:

1) Many of the people like me are fresh into the BPCR arena, seem to show up here on this forum. This could help them get a jump on their learning curve (it teaches people what is important in the assembly of quality loads). If nothing else it could get someone in the Ball park or "On the Paper".

2) Shiloh appears to have such tight reproducable tolerances from rifle to rifle, that to me it's logical that with proper care in putting the loads together, they should work to some extent reasonably well.

3) I also thought it would be a benefit for our host (Shiloh) to have successfull loads specific for their rifles, and the people who chose to purchase their rifles.

I don't know about the rest of the readers, but I find the diligence of the shooters who have posted, illustrative as to the time and effort they put into their own quality control. It is helping me mentally put the loading function into the right perspective.

It is also interesting to learn about the skills and acheivements of some of the people who frequent here. I am also hoping others, who obviously have years of experiance might jump in and give us their thoughts.

If I have been painfully redundant in this post I apoligize.

I look forward to you reply.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"