To all accomplished Shiloh Rifle Shooters

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Texas Shooter,
As I read your post it seemed like a good, but daunting, Idea. I was responding to those few who seemed to disparage the idea.
But look what you started, already a a loose collection of pet loads and ideas, needing only an editor to organize them all into a cohesive compendium of BPCR knowlede.
No one can be more a beginner than I.
I believe you read me correctly.
Best, Gregg
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Texas Shooter,

My P.J. moulds are off the shelf, they have shot the best for me. I do have some moulds that Paul made for me that had a modification he wanted or one that I thought would work. I feel guys get to wound up in special stuff when the basic things will do and work.

Loading good ammo is nothing more then paying attention to the small details and keeping things in close tolerence.

Here's how I like a bullet, nice smooth ogive transition from the nose to the first driving band. Right in front of the first drive band I like .448 to .449 and all the driving bands to measure groove diameter, .458 for my barrel, the same type of measurements for other calibers as well. Over or under sized bullets have never shot well for me.

I have good originol Borchardts to shoot, so the longe range would be a Shiloh 1874. I don't have a Shiloh, but have wanted one for a long time. I'm a good shot, just not quite good enough, at times, to win a Shiloh. So i'll buy one, that buying is good for the economy to. I din't care for the 1877, looks to danity or fragile to me.
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Texas Shooter-

I may have missed this. If so, sorry about the duplication.

Perhaps another catagory to go along with brass type...brass sorting. Yes/No. If yes, by what increments?

Seems like I remember from Mike V's book that some of his "accomplished" shooters sorted and some did not. Same on this site.
David
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Texas Shooter-

As I have been compiling the data so far I was wondering what differentiation you are thinking about between bullet composition and
Ratio of materials. Both of these suggest the alloy composition to me. Want to make sure I classify the data correctly.
David
deerhuntsheatmeup

mr roos

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

KO, You must be getting week or kind giving out such valued info over the net. You must been caught at a week moment to disclose such critical info.

You describe your bullets very well, the ones I saw at the HOT shoot were nice and shiney lookin' and your scores were high enough to make me think that shiney bullets are what makes you shoot so good. I don't think the powder has anything to do with it, just the shiney bullets.

I once new a guy who was a real good golfer. He was the kind of golfer that could play golf with a tap root as a club and shoot good scores. He was that good. You sir I feel are that good with a gun, it don't matter what the load or the gun, I don't want you to ever take dead aim at me! LOL

Have fun, Thanks a million, I got them, can't wait to shoot, Barvid
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

deerhunts,

Your welcome and it was a pleasure hanging out with you and Squire. What a pair those two are when their together, the Squire and deerhunts.. Felt like I was high school again with the insults they kept tossing at each other, or was that grade school :lol:

Kelley O. 8)
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

To all BPCR shooters accomplished or not

A while back, there was a link in a post that would take you to an article by CHUCK RAITHEL. This article is very good reading and has a BUNCH of good load data that will fit in this quest. I cannot remember to link, but maybe Chuck can post it again.
Jim Milner ( Trigger Dr)
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley O. Roos

Thanks again for the great detail on your answer. You have been very generous. If you think of anything you think would add to this string, or further insight on what should be focused on, please feel free to chime in.

It sounds from some of the replies and the veiwing count, that this part of the forum is of interest to many folks.

Are there any people who frequent this site that you think would be good to hear from?

Thanks again,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

crazeyiven:

"Perhaps another catagory to go along with brass type...brass sorting. Yes/No. If yes, by what increments? "

I to, think that would be of interest. Maybe some of the readers can give their opinion on the importance of sorting, and their personal practice if they do it.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Coydog B.

Post by Coydog B. »

Trigger Doctor (Jim),

Do you mean this?

http://www.msnusers.com/BPCRsilhouette/ ... AITHEL.doc

Chuck
"Your Mileage May Vary"
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

If that isn't the right link Coydog then maybe it was this...

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Intr ... oading.pdf

...I am pretty sure that I posted this Link once before but the RAM in my brain is Random at BEST!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Capt. Call

YUP....DAT BE DUH WUN
Lots of good info...
Trigger Dr Jim Milner :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Great to have you back as the "Trigger Dr" and you don't know how much I missed Oscar's little Red nose and smiling face!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Capt. Call:

Great Link. Thanks for digging it up. It looks like a version of this question was done sometime back. The authors of that piece looked very familiar. Seems like the BPCR "group" is a pretty tight bunch.

Anyway, thanks for diging it up, and thanks for those who thought of it.

Best Regards,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Does anyone have some good loads for 38-55, that they personally have had good luck with?

What are the opinions on this smaller load?

How would you compare it to some of the other smaller loads Shiloh offers in their product line for casual shooting?

If anyone has any other pet loads like would like to recommend, please feel free to jump in.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"