Does lube stay on a fired bullet?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SchuetzenDave

Re: Does lube stay on a fired bullet?

Post by SchuetzenDave »

I use Alberta Schuetzen Lube when firing grease groove cast bullets regardless if shooting black powder or smokeless powder.

It works with plain base bullets and has the viscosity to work from -40 F. to 110 F. while being sticky enough not to slough off.

It can be used for pan lubing or used in a lubersizer.

It is not exceptionally hard and does not require a heater when being ejected in a lubersizer.
Dan4570

Post by Dan4570 »

Hello,
Yes & No !
The modern petroleum based lubricants will remain on the bullets at the low velocities of hand gun and BPC rifle bullets.However, those lubes do the job with that nasty smokeless stuff where it is mainly only asked to prevent leading.

If you are shooting a proper blackpowder lube it should do multiple things besides just lubricating beyond lead fouling . A propper bp llube will lubricate the rifling as it goes down the bbl to prevent leading but needs to other things too.
One of the main things we are looking for is to prevent hard fouling created by black powder. (Use a petroleum based lube and black powder if you really like cleaning your buffalo buster. I think we all like shooting over cleaning)
An additional action,given lube groove size, # of grooves , powder & loading techniques, along with bbl lengths is some level of self cleaning...ie each consecutive shot pushes out the fouling, while
re-lubing the boor . This action , if you have a mix that will do it, will provide a minimal degrading of accuracy, and then will settle out and maintain the accuracy for a string of consecutive shots. (A period lubricant)
The loss of lube from the projectile should happen due to the heat and force of the bullet being sent down the boor.
1 heat from being fired and the friction created to move the bullet down the bbl melts it
2 spin of the bullet under pressure spins it I out
3 the bullet (given that it has the proper lead mix) will grow slightly to fill the boor and with #1 &#2 going on it creates a seal on the bullet preventing a blow-by of the powder around the bullet (the blow-by is a good way to get lead fouling and it is also is telling you that you need softer lead . 20:1 is pretty much a standard lead mix for 19th century cartridges )
All of this combined makes it work.

I used to shoot a 45-70 roller with a 20 bbl and a 405 lee hollowbase (trapdoor bullet) and a 500grn gov. With the combination of all parts working and a bullet carrying a generous lube amount, I would often just set it back uncleaned, and pick it up a few days later and begin shooting....(this was done for test purposes in the creation of VBL , I did it so you don't have too)
We could literally watch accuracy come back within 3-4 shots with the trapdoor ammunition.
The components used worked. The final tests were done with original trapdoor infantry rifles.

So .... if you are shooting a bullet with so-called "black powder" lube on it and you are able to recover bullets in weather above -25°F and anything above 0% himidity with the lube intact , then the lube failed, and did not do its job.
SPG comes off
DGL comes off
VBL comes off (actually outperforms the other 2)
And most home lube recipies i have seen will come off too....
For a quick do it your self recipie, Crisco and bees wax works and comes off.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I monitor the temperature and humidity at barrel level in warmer temperatures. Shade or sun makes a difference.
In milder temperatures with higher humidity I watch those readings in the ambient especially when shooting from the shade.
Above 88F you will probably have problems, below 30% humidity pay attention. 88F & 30% humidity or less pay close attention to condition of the bore.

I shoot gg bullets exclusively. Here when it is hot the trick is keeping lube in the lube grooves until chambering the round.
If all lube grooves are covered it seems more lube star on face of muzzle.
If one or more lube grooves uncovered seems the lube star is somewhat diminished.

Internal heat of the barrel promotes hard fouling. Hard fouling is an accuracy killer.

Regardless of the adverse conditions I have yet to have hard fouling problems using the BACO Bore Wipes even with barrel level temps above 125F and humidity in single digits.

Have found lube on recovered BPCR bullets using smokeless powder and smokeless lube in 45-70
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!