The mechanics of Paper Rings

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

steveu834

Re: The mechanics of Paper Rings

Post by steveu834 »

“My cases are trimmed to 2.880 right to the chamber stop.”

Kenny,
Does this work for greaser’s also?

Cheers,
Steve
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Kenny
I started this post out of pure curiosity of the reason why, and have learned some things along the way.
After reading your book twice, I am now working with alloy in the 1 in 11 to 12 range, have stretched 2.4" brass as needed and bought 2.6" cases to trim for max. chamber length in my 45-90. Mpro, pigs and such for fouling control seem to work in this crazy dry blistering heat we have had in Montana this summer. I usually keep a few shooters waiting while I clean, although the routine is thoroughly streamlined.
kw
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

One more thought, has any one started with long brass and chamfered the outside of case only so as to minimize the 45 deg chamber lead gap? In theory it seems plausible and of course it needs to be a fired unsized case.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Kim, I do that std procedure 45° outside and vld inside. Bobw
bobw
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Thanks Bob, it will be the next procedure to pursue. What 45 deg. chamfer tool are you using, some sort of plumbing tool?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

[quote=steveu834 post_id=338683 time=1664314806 user_id=308911]
“My cases are trimmed to 2.880 right to the chamber stop.”

Kenny,
Does this work for greaser’s also?

Cheers,
Steve
[/quote]

Yes it does. But 2.878 is better for grease groove.

Kenny W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Aero

Post by Aero »

I can't add anything on the original subject as I've never fired a paper patch bullet and have never felt the need. Other than tradition, none of the claimed benefits come true on match day. Certainly little to no ballistic advantage. The already time consuming process of loading quality match winning BP ammo just seems to go over the top with PP. Not being able to get a couple or 3 shots quickly on the target in a steady condition is a distinct handicap, but that can also happen with shitty pit service which has always been an issue in my opinion in the BPTR game. The bottom line is that you give a good shooter a rifle that shoots the Lyman 457125 Govt bullet well and he it going to beat the guy shooting PP with lesser wind/shooting skills every time.

All that aside, I can absolutely say that based on the amount of target, target frame and target carrier damage inflicted on the CRC range this past weekend, there wasn't a whole lot of accuracy going on, either in vertical dispersion (shooter, rifle, load) or horizontal (wind). In the nearly 20 years I played the BPTR game (paper targets where hitting in the center counts way more than hitting edges) I was always amazed how so many sub moa guns could barely hold on to a 6 moa target. Especially vertical.

To the original poster, if you're winning or placing high at the matches you shoot, it seems like you're looking for a problem that's not there.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

For what it's worth I check my case length after each firing ( I shoot pp), trim the very few back that need it to 2.875" AOL, and anneal every case. I did some experimenting/load work-up with Swiss 1F now that my Goex has been used up. I chose to stay with 111.0 grains of Swiss. In my trying I found two loads that proved better on paper at 200 yds. than my Goex loads. That was very good. I fine-tuned the next batch a bit, and was amazed at how well the loads shot at 200. I literally found a load that literally stacked shot after shot on top of the first round fired, so many times it really amazed me. I shoot at an @8"dia. 5/8"-thick steel plate at 200 yds. I really found my 'bubble' that day. The compression was .125" with a .030" vegi fiber. I then added three .060" poly's, and a 1/8" wool felt wad under the patched bullet. The first three shots left a very minor paper ring in the chamber, but after warming up the barrel the rings disappeared completely. I tried .200" compression, and found that the .125" compression was what the barrel really liked the most. The .200" compression had no paper rings whatsoever. The .125" compression loads' bullet seated @3/16+" into the mouth of the case using (3) .060" poly wads, the .200" compression @1/8" using (4) .060" poly wads. I was REALLY impressed at how well these rifles shoot with Swiss under the patched ball. Sights were MVA #113 globe front, and #103 LR Buffalo, with Harley eye cup.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.