water for bullet catching

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

flatsguide

Re: water for bullet catching

Post by flatsguide »

Maybe I’ll shoot my 83 gns Swiss 1 1/2 behind my 535 gn elliptical 16:1 bullet into the pool tomorrow with before and after bullet dimensions. I did it about four years ago and recalled the bullet shortening.
Cheers Richard
1minute

Post by 1minute »

From memory, I recall a seeing a video where a 45-70 slug passed through 18 to 20+ gallon jugs filled with water. Myth Busters also demonstrated that heavy chubby handgun slugs can get 3 or 4 feet down in a swimming pool.

I'd get a much longer section of pipe and even then expect some significant rupturing so stand well away.
1Minute
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks guys, I have been talked out of it :)

Keith
sackett

Post by sackett »

I used to (early 1990's) use several feet of saturated phone books, all stacked up in a row and shot into them. Caught many bullets this way.

Just not sure where to find the yellow or white pages anymore
kodiak1

Post by kodiak1 »

Go on YouTube look up Buffman - R.A.N.G.E and this will give you a bit of an idea that may work.
I found it interesting.
Love to Live, Live to Shoot.
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

I fired my 45-70 (details above) into my pool today, the bullet was shorted in OAL by .009” ( original length was 1.467”) and the body diameter was increased by .0095” ( original diameter was .444”) it was tapered also from .451” at the ogive body junction to .4537” just above the DD base. MV is 1235 FPS from the muzzle to the water was about 15’.
Cheers Richard
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

The pool has been a great asset for me. I have not shot the 38 into his pool yet but I will try to get some projectiles in the water early next year.
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Shooting into the pool helped me out when I started BPCR shooting a few years ago. I was getting patterns instead of groups when I started loading, i shot a couple of rounds into the pool and found I had bad flame cutting, I switched from veggie wads to a LDPE wad and never looked back. I think it is a very good idea of shooting into water, you never now what you may find out about the bullet or load.
CheersRichard