Supply list

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Cromartie

Supply list

Post by Cromartie »

Can I get a shopping list of supplies from you experienced guys on what I will need to clean my rifle please? What I’m referring to is patch sizes for 40 and 45 caliber, brushes,jags, or anything else special I may need to keep my rifles in prime shooting condition. I already have the Dewey rod.
semtav

Re: Supply list

Post by semtav »

For paperpatch:

40 and 45 cal jags
2" to 3" patches as desired
Spray bottle of Windex with vinegar
Spray can of napa power lube.

That's all I've used for years.

For greasers you'll need about 10 times as much stuff.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

semtav wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:54 pm
For greasers you'll need about 10 times as much stuff.
Hardly. My cleaning kit consists of a bottle of Windex with vinegar, 2" cotton patches, a nylon brush on a rod, a can of WD-40 and a rag. That's all I've used for the past 10 years and all I shoot is grease groove with black powder.
Cody
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

40 and 45 cal bras jags and nylon brushes.
Proshot round flannel patches 2 in for the 40 and 2 1/2 for the 45.
find your rifles favored choice for wiping between shots.
For end of the day clean up I'm a big fan of Montana extreme's Cowboy blend, and their Accuracy oil .
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Buy your self a bolt of cotton flannel, rotary quilt cutter and cutting mat. Cut any size you need. You can make 1000's on a boring winter day. I use alot of 2 1/4" on my .45's and make my own jags to fit, same for the .40's.
kw
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

how costly is the cutter? art
Griff

Post by Griff »

Here's an example. There's are other options and places to buy them, like local fabric or quilting stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-195210-1 ... 221&sr=1-2

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

They’re very reasonable at $13.83 at Walmart. Cutting mat is $29.97, at Walmart also. Shown are Fiskars, which are a little more expensive…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Cromartie wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:54 pm Can I get a shopping list of supplies from you experienced guys on what I will need to clean my rifle please?

Cromartie
In addition to the supplies jackrabbit and Don recommended for cleaning your gun after shooting, you should also look into what supplies might be needed in case you get leading in the barrel.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I've thoroughly rung out 10 or 12 BPCR rifles now with 10's of thousands of rounds down range, and have either won or placed very highly in most of the major silhouette and target rifle matches in our region. In all of this I've shot grease groove bullets and I've never had more than a few specs of lead. I don't carry anything in my shooting kit for lead removal. If you are doing things right, you shouldn't have a problem.

Leading doesn't just sneak up on you. Do your homework and get a load that works before you go to a match. If you are going to have leading issues, you will figure it out before the match and deal with it there. Personally, I think most leading is caused by gas getting past the bullet and cutting the bullet. This is caused by an improperly sized bullet, wrong powder charge, poor fouling control, or problems with the wad stack. If you still can't solve the leading problem by adjusting these, then get a new barrel. Life is too short to fight a leading problem.

Paper patch doesn't do it for me. I find it inferior to grease grooves, besides being a pain in the ass to both patch the bullets and keep your barrel clean enough to make it work. To each their own.
Cody
semtav

Post by semtav »

My apologies.
I guess this gg-pp thing between Desert Deuce and myself has gotten out of hand and everyone took us seriously. It came up locally too.

Personally I don't give a rats ass if you shoot paperpatch, grease groove or powder coat.
Blackhorn, smokeless or black powder.

Clean with water, Napa or m-pro.
Last thing I need to read is a lecture from someone whose never leaded a barrel.

I'm going to go join Brent.
Have fun.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

semtav wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:22 pm
Last thing I need to read is a lecture from someone whose never leaded a barrel.
Well, you started out with an apology, then ended like this. Apparently you are not sorry? Then you say you don't care what people shoot, but obviously you do as you feel like you need to put down grease grooves every chance you get? Which one is it?

Personally, I didn't like you adding to my list of supplies like there was something I was intentionally leaving out, as if all grease groove shooters have to carry this long list of supplies to remove the copious amounts of lead from there bores. Bullshit.

I didn't mean I have never leaded a barrel, I meant I have never leaded one after I had things figured out.

You and Brent have fun.
Cody
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

semtav wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:22 pm
I'm going to go join Brent.
Is glen there, too?
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Cromartie, welcome to the madness. You have some great info to go on, and you will need to start attending a few matches and just see what everyone else has, what they are using and ask questions but try to have an open mind to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I do not know weather your shooting GG or PP bullets but as you can tell it can be a touchy subject with varying opinions. If you plan on shooting GG, great, go for it. If its the lure of old school PP then great also, dive in. Both will take some time to figure out what works and what does not. Each can be highly accurate and competitive in the right hands. Most everyone has opinions as to what they think is best, the truth is, they only know what is best for them. Cody stated that he finds PP to be “inferior”to GG, keep in mind that’s just what HE believes, don’t let it sway you in what you are attempting to try. Cody is a great guy, competitor and has great matches at his family farm. His knowledge on what he shoots, and how he shoots it should be taken into account if you are shooting GG. There are plenty of people here that will give you information if you go the PP route. Again, BOTH can be done. If going PP you can ask the vast majority of the “Legends” the shoot at Lodi because that’s what they shoot at LR or ask the vast majority that shoot the Creedmoor 150 anniversary LR matches out in Oak Ridge.
What ever you do, don’t believe everything you hear, and don’t stop trying just because something doesn’t work out the way you wanted it to.

Good luck.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Cromartie,
Here we go… I shoot original target rifles, all paper patch, that’s what the original chambers require, I shoot grease groove in my silhouette rifles. They both shoot very well! I get the best of both worlds! :lol:
Tom Klinger