Buffalo Arms copy of Saeco #740 bullet

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Buffalo Arms copy of Saeco #740 bullet

Post by gunlaker »

I've been planning to ask BACO if they'd make a copy of the Saeco #740 bullet. That bullet works very well in the Shiloh .40-65 chamber and I always thought it would be nice to have a more "perfect" version of that bullet. Mine isn't perfectly round, nor are all the driving bands even the same diameter. Well sometime in the last year or so someone must have requested it so it's in their catalog, but under Saeco bullets interestingly.

JIM 410410SP

I had mine made with a .409" body & .398" nose.

It's not an exact copy, for some reason they left off the meplat so the bullet is a tiny bit longer. Other than that it's the same, but more perfect than my Saeco #740. It will be interesting to see if it shoots as well as the #740.

Chris.
desert deuce

Re: Buffalo Arms copy of Saeco #740 bullet

Post by desert deuce »

To quote one of my shooting partners: "The barrel will make it round before it exits the muzzle."
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:21 pm To quote one of my shooting partners: "The barrel will make it round before it exits the muzzle."
It will definitely do that, but it's not very likely to be a well balanced bullet. However, there is absolutely no arguing with the fact that that non-perfect bullet shoots extremely well in my Shiloh Sharps rifles :-).

But maybe this new, more perfect copy, will shoot just a tiny bit better... I also have another motive. Anything good needs to have a spare. I haven't seen a Saeco #740 mold in stock for a while so this is potentially also a spare, depending on how it shoots.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Will be interested to hear how it performs, and you are the perfect test vehicle.

Working on a TOP SECRET bullet at the moment myself. Too soon to talk about even.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Actually two, but don't tell anyone.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I will definitely let you know Zack!

Chris.