Pot Heating Element Quandary

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

38-72

Pot Heating Element Quandary

Post by 38-72 »

I bought a Shiloh lead casting pot a few years ago. And, its one the best casting tools I have ever purchased. Its just great, until now. After casting 1000s and 1000s of bullets the heating element stopped working. The element is one of those old school style electric stove top spiral elements. So, I took the element out and when down to the local appliance repair shop to buy another heating element, which they had and said this one will replace that burned out unit, and its back home I go. Installed the new element and all is well again. It ran like a champ, and I casted a few hundred bullets. But, the next casting session didn't go so well. The pot heated right up and cool right back down again. I took pot apart (and of course its now full of cold lead) and the new element has 2 small holes burned thru it. Something is wrong but I am at a loss at to what that might be. Any suggestions???

Since I now need another new heating element, I am wondering, is there an up-grade in heating elements that I should look at, something like a ceramic plate heater or maybe a ceramic band heater, or??? Anyone have any experience with these types of heating elements??
See the other Washington, Eastern!
Lumpy Grits

Re: Pot Heating Element Quandary

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Call Shiloh and see if they have any suggestions
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Dennis Armistead

Re: Pot Heating Element Quandary

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Sounds like the element was faulty from the factory. I would take it back for a replacement. Heating elements are like light bulbs, they do burn out over time.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.