Winchester 1876, .45-75

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jim Stewart

Winchester 1876, .45-75

Post by Jim Stewart »

This is off topic, but I don't know a better pool of knowledge about loading obsolete black powder cartridges.

I have a Winchester M-1876, .45-75 I want to shoot. Need dies, brass and bullets, or a bullet mould, and I'm asking for suggestions on brands of each and the place to buy them.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Anyone got some of this stuff to sell?

Cordially,

Jim Stewar
Buckskinner

.45-75 dies

Post by Buckskinner »

Jim

Rapine has the dies listed that you are asking for. 84.00
Address
Rapine Bullet Mould Mfg. Co.
9503 Landis Lane
East Greenville Pa.1180411

215-679-5413

Buffalo Arms may also have them.

www.Buffaloarms.com

Good Luck
Gary :D
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Thanks.

Cordially,

Jim Stewart
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Jim:
You have a really neat rifle. Before shooting, carefully inspect the toggle links for cracks.

I'll suggest the Lyman 457191 or 457193 molds. I mold bullets for my '86 Winchester using the 193. With 30-1 alloy they actually weigh 415 grains. For safety considerations, flat nose bullets are a MUST.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Hmmmm, Just a quick question here--and yes I could go look it up but just don't feel like it right now :roll: --wasn't the 45-75WCF just a 45-70 loaded to 75 gr to get around patent laws or something--I remember reading something to that effect somewhere?? I think?? Any ideas??
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

ok never mind--I got my lazy butt up and looked it up--completely different cartridges!!! Please disregard the entire last post--they say the mind is the first thing to go-- :lol: Later folks!

Rich
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
KHR

Post by KHR »

Jim,
I shoot a '76, it is a 45/60 with a mint bore, a very accurate rifle. You can get everything you need from Buffalo Arms. (ask for skip or dave) If you buy brass from them be sure to get the fully formed 45/75s. I use the lyman gould 330 grain in my rifle (sized to .458) http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1537.html it would be a good choice for yours also. the original 45/75 used a 350 grain bullet, you might not want to go much heavier than that since the rifling was designed to stabilize a bullet of that weight. An excellent reference is Venturino's book on shooting old west lever actions. Mike did not use the fully formed brass, (I believe that it was not available at that time) and had a really dificult and complicated process in making the brass. How is the bore on your rifle? if it is ok you will find that the gun will be really accurate. Someday I'd like to find a 45/75 to shoot, excellent bored 45/75s are hard to come by at an affordable price.
hope this helps.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Jim:

How did you make out with your 1876 Winchester?
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Thanks to all for the information and suggestions.

I ordered twenty formed .45-75 cases by Buffalo Arms, 20 Bertram cases from them, CH-4D dies, and a box of .45 cal, 350 gr bullets, all from Buffalo Arms. Ordered shell holders from MidwayUSA.

Then, I ordered three different original Winchester factory loaded rounds from a dealer in collector cartridges to use as guages and examples.

A friend in Virginia is looking for an original Winchester .45-75 loading tool for me at a big gunshow there this weekend.

Bore is very good in my rifle. I've looked up the names of several materials testing laboratories reasonably close to my home. Thought I'd pull the locking links out and take them to be magnafluxed or dye penetrant tested before shooting.

As to how this all works out - I don't know. I'm in Baghdad and won't be home to Texas until September. Try to find out then if I can make it shoot.

Cordially,

Jim Stewart
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

God Bless you Jim Stewart. Come home safely.
Lee Stone
Cattitude

Post by Cattitude »

I am a "newbie" as my first Shiloh is in production now, but there must be some of you out there that may have a 45 cal mould or other equipment that they have "out grown" due to load perfection. Perhaps it is a piece of equpment that you may never use again. You might bless this young man and further the BPCR cause by donating said piece of equipment. It may go far to introduce more young people to our sport and help out an outstanding young man. IMHO we need more young people interested in our sport if it is to survive.( Unless of course there is a Quigley II )
:D
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

QUIGLEY II?!?

hopefully not til I get my rifle, I don't want to have a 4-5 year wait!! :wink:
Montana Roughrider .45-70
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

Cattitude, you will post impressions and mayhaps pics of your new baby, right?
Montana Roughrider .45-70
Cattitude

Post by Cattitude »

Wood puppy; I will be more than happy to post "pics" of the new baby when it arrives. As to my post ... Jim Stewart; I am sure that I could manage some brass to help you on your way. However being new to this game myself I am sorely lacking in proper equipment. If you will PM me I will be happy to send a somewhat humble offering as a Thank You for your valiant contribution.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Wait a minute, folks. I don't want to sail under false colors.

I'm no soldier, just a constuction manager / engineer. Retirement is near, when I hope to explore the old M-1876 and a few others fully.

Truth is, I came to Iraq for one last adventure before I hang it up.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your kind thoughts and would ask that you also direct them to those much more deserving.

Cordially,

Jim Stewart