Carbines

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Luke

Carbines

Post by Luke »

Seen the run of Sporting Carbines Bill Goodman's having done?
Limber Up!
Randy Bohannon

Re: Carbines

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I have a military carbine on order not a B.G. gun , thought it would be good idea to get one while they are still being offered. Mine will have the patch box , 26” round barrel, pack hardened ,chambered 40-50 SBN .
Luke

Post by Luke »

Me too, a 24" 50-70. Thought it was interesting Bill is having a very rare non catalog configuration done.

How did you get a 26" barrel?
Limber Up!
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I just the specks for those rifles, no barrel band most are 1874’s in 45 and 50 -70 , interesting the barrel band eliminated . My mistake, the longer of the two choices on barrel length.
Luke

Post by Luke »

He went and changed his order, got rid of the target sights and most of the fancy bits. I predict this configuration will go fast!
Limber Up!
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

Luke wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:07 am He went and changed his order, got rid of the target sights and most of the fancy bits. I predict this configuration will go fast!
I have been conversing with Bill about these. He still has some of each in both calibers and versions. No changes available and expected sometime in the summer. Trying to resist but if I find I have $1000 somewhere in the budget I am screwed
Real gun powder is black.
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

I am wondering what the appeal is for these. Can anyone explain the desire to have a carbine that is not a carbine, a sporting rifle that is a carbine? Or is it just because you can?

Charles
Luke

Post by Luke »

Like to hunt, like a short, light rifle for easy carry, and want something unique, would be my guess.
Limber Up!
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

A sharps doesn't have to be a heavyweight! The posted descriptions relate more to the original "Hunter's" than to a carbine though.

George
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

To me it sounds like a good deer stand gun or a still hunting gun for the swamps I have been known to frequent here in Florida. If it had a steel shotgun butt plate instead of the Military butt stock it would be perfect but I can live without it. I really need to stop talking about these or I will place my order
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

A fellow can only claim so many guns are his retirement gifts!
roundball1775

Post by roundball1775 »

Luke wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:36 pm Like to hunt, like a short, light rifle for easy carry, and want something unique, would be my guess.
I think this sums it up. Should make for a handy hunting rifle.
bobw

Post by bobw »

I'd bet most of the rifles ordered from Shiloh have 30" heavy barrel and are used for some kind of target shooting. They work well for that. Back during the start of the buffalo hunt in early 1870's guys bought whatever they could get or could afford. More than a few shot percussion military round barrel rifles as well as conversion guns from them in 50-70. Because they were availible just like the 50-70 converted carbines were, they were relatively light and handy for the horseman and the guy on foot as well as sufficiently accurate for their needs. Today damn few carry a Sharps over the front of a saddle or walk miles with one between their hands. So today's Sharps idealized for the target shooter but will also serve on a hunt or two. The second shiloh I ever bought is a 26" standard octagon barreled Saddle rifle in 40-70 2.1 " a cartridge easy to make inexpensively out of 45-70 brass it shoots fine and is easy to carry at 8- 9lbs and under 43". From April to Oct there is a monthly match I shoot locally just 20 rds 5 at each target 1, 2, 3, 400 yds with sighters at each range. I shoot that 40 with a 370 gr patch to bore bullet and 75 grs of Fg at 1335 fps because it works and well. Best I've done so far is 19/20. It's a informal fun match where everyone helps the other guy do well to have fun also. It has taught me several things one is lighter weight 74's have great utility. Awhile back I added to my lighter weight 74 collection with a 28" round barrel business rifle in 50-70 gov't with an original style chamber and a military rifle butt, when it was built the forend was glass bedded. The original owner did a sweet job of tuning the set triggers, at under 10 lbs and <45" it's not a carbine but not cumbersome either. It will get some action at the same match as it has a #108 mid range rear and shiloh #111 front sight. Off hand it is balanced and feels lighter than it is, simple with nice straight grained wood with just a little figure it is also elegant. Simply elegant as I see it. Ordered is a Hartford in a lighter configuration also but still over a year out. A carbine that isn't but not a real target rifle, yeah I get it. Bobw
bobw
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Like Bobw i have the same 26" Saddle in 45-90 which is as light as anything and a 45-120 business 28" which is beautifully balanced. SO my orders now for 28" heavy oct. in 40-50 BN for enjoyable shooting.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Have given much thought to a original style chambered 40-50 SBN with a standard weight 26" barrel. Friend powderburner has one maintains it has zero recoil with typical 260-330 grain ppb's and 18 twist foul very little. Biggest problem he says is keeping ammo loaded for it. Like shooting a 22 no trick at all to go thru 200 rds a day. Imagine 140 rounds to the lb of powder. Bobw
bobw