3d Printed Paper patch rolling jig

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kwilliams

Re: 3d Printed Paper patch rolling jig

Post by kwilliams »

Castaway wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:36 am Does it matter if rolling a 0.444” or 0.447” bullet?
No it does not matter what the dia. is, its basically a paper alignment tool.
kw
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

I am not seeing it. Wouldn’t the bullet need to be turned the other way with the bottom against the screw? Otherwise wouldn’t it crinkle the tail portion? Or a short screw from the bottom?
Real gun powder is black.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

No, bullet nose in on the screw, paper is aligned on the fence, then with some dexterity you start the roll then pick up both and finish the roll and base tuck. Trick is how much paper you leave out to grasp to get the rolling going.
dougf

Post by dougf »

I received a few email questions asking how the jig is used. Here is a short video that demos how I use it.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuPFY0V9HYqVgfEdf_M ... Q?e=3XQJDI

It is not a panacea that greatly simplifies the process -- it is just a jig to 1) Align the paper 2) Provide consistent placement of the paper in relation to the nose. However, the trough for the bullet helps keep it in place before starting. Also, the jig can now be set up to roll with either hand (I used to make 2 different models that were mirror images of each other). This video shows me using it with my left hand to roll. By removing the bolt, placing it in the other holder and flipping it around you can roll with your right hand.

The two holes on the sides are so it can be attached to a larger board if desired.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

ingenious. I've got to order one; anything to make loading easier/faster, and more consistently. Great design, Doug.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
pacecars

Post by pacecars »

kwilliams wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:43 pm No, bullet nose in on the screw, paper is aligned on the fence, then with some dexterity you start the roll then pick up both and finish the roll and base tuck. Trick is how much paper you leave out to grasp to get the rolling going.
Ok. That makes more sense. I was assuming it stayed on the tray and you just rolled it in the little trough pulling the paper
Real gun powder is black.