32-20, evolution and update.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

martinibelgian

32-20, evolution and update.

Post by martinibelgian »

Just an update on my 32-20 fast-twist rifle (BAS Martini 12/15, 1:12 twist barrel) and the current status. Didn't work as much with it as I would like to until recently, but restarted 2 weeks ago.
Initial performance was a bit lackluster, with too much vertical on target, no matter what the load/bullet was. So I decided it was time for a thorough clean with a carbon cleaner and barrel polish (the stuff from Bore Tech - carbon remover and chameleon gel). Yes, that gave an improvement, but enough.

So I decided to retest my cleaning routine. Earlier tests had indicated the barrel needed 2 moist and 1-2 dry patches between shots, which didn't work now. So I decided to start over - and to my surprise, it will now perform very well with a single moist patch between shots. Quite a surprise indeed, I can only come up with 1 explanation:

When the barrel was new, it was still a bit rough & unpolished, retaining more fouling/moisture - hence needing a more thorough cleaning routine. Now the bore is quite a bit smoother from shooting/cleaning, and the single patch seems to be enough. I never noted this in my larger calibre rifles, but here it is with this little .30 bore.

I can certainly 'feel' that the bore is quite a bit smoother compared to initially, but I never thought it would have such a impact. I just might decide to retest PP bullets once more, who knows?
MAH

Re: 32-20, evolution and update.

Post by MAH »

martinibelgian,

I am in the middle of a build basically with the cartridge.(30-20) Using a 1-13 twist barrel, on a Low Wall Action. Used to use this same cartridge in Pistol Silhouette's proved to be a very accurate round. Will not be using black powder, but smokeless. Please keep your post up, very curious about your result's.

MAH
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Yes, one of the issues I encountered was finding suitable bullets - I wanted a heavy-for-cartridge bullet which wouldn't eat up too much case capacity. So I designed a 150gr RN bullet myself, and also ordered the PP variant. And I also purchased a copy of the Pope bullet (308403) at 174gr for semi breech-seating. Meanwhile, I also have a mini 'money' bullet at 140gr. The main goal is to have a BPTR short-range rifle.
Potential accuracy has been quite promising, just the cleaning routine was a bit of an issue as in potentially seriously degrading accuracy - and I do hope it will have stabilized by now.

The sight will allow me to shoot out to 200+ meters, but not quite to 300 - and I am convinced the littel round might just be competitive at that range, so maybe a new sight is required...
MAH

Post by MAH »

martinibelgian,

My plan is using a 130 cast bullet, dropping from a old Lyman mold, "311410". When using this caliber in pistol silhouette 190/200 gr. jacket bullets were common. Accuracy was excellent, Contenders and BF falling block pistol were commonly used. It is my hopes that I can be very accurate out to 150 yards with this combination of 130 gr bullet. Main use will be cast bullet bench rest. Have an old Lyman Target Spot scope with a "Tommy Dot". The scope is a three digit serial number. Should have it complete by mid December. Good luck with your endeavors.

MAH