Take down Sharps

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pacecars

Take down Sharps

Post by pacecars »

Has there ever been a takedown 1874? Could it be done similar to the Winchester High Wall? I would imagine it would be expensive to do as a one off for a talented gunsmith. Maybe John Powers? I know he makes the High Wall latches. Might have to give him a shout-out
Real gun powder is black.
Barry Miller

Re: Take down Sharps

Post by Barry Miller »

Had one once. Had a Shiloh re-barreled and it was not set tight in the action. After shooting it it became loose, and I could take it down, The gun smith fixed it, however one Could of put a set screw in it likw a CPA and it would of worked.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Old custom gun builders like Pope, Schoyen, etc. often made single shots into takedowns by the Stevens setscrew method, or using a tapered pin crossways through the receiver to secure the barrels. Once removed, the threads had enough clearance to allow the barrels to be hand loosened to remove.
But considering the Sharps design the setscrew would be going through the lever screw if it came up from the bottom, so a different direction would be required.
James

Post by James »

The Sharps lever spring on the barrel going into the receiver would make a take down system rather difficult.
There’s no horse so dead it can’t be beat a bit more.
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

pacecars,
Richard McKinney (Schuetzen Gun Company) will make a switch- barrel 1874 Freund Sharps Rifle.
No idea if he would do one on a Shiloh for you.