Rolling Block

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MBW

Rolling Block

Post by MBW »

Thanks again for all the input on the question of the Rolling Block cleaning from last month... I got a Dewey .27 cal 44 inch rod and that works very well. Pleanty of length to clear the sight and hammer and stiff enough to go through the bore and not scrape the lands. Great idea, thanks. As this is working I have not reprofiled the hammer...yet. But I did take a page from the old timers tuning the Colt SAA trigger pull. My Pedersoli came with a 10lb+ trigger pull. It was off my RCBS scale. I stoned the hammer sear a bit and got it down to a smooth 6lb and then took a piece of leather (SAA trick) and placed it under the leaf spring for the hammer and now have a beautiful and consistent 3 1/4 lb pull that has more then enough oomph to pop the primers. I experimented a bit on thickness. I used two thickness of chamois, like the ones they sell for drying autos. Belt leather was way too thick. I guess as the leather wears I may have to replace it. So far so good...Any thoughts would be appreciated...
NRA Life
CRPA Life
TYRVR

Rolling Block Trigger Work:

Post by TYRVR »

I know Shiloh don't make a Rolling Block,(HINT-HINT!) but iffn' they DID!.........they would probably put an adjusting screw under the trigger return spring.......to do this they would remove the butt stock and locate the trigger return spring(under the hammer spring) you would see that a screw located midway of the spring could be used to lighten the pressure on the spring making for a MUCH improved trigger pull, you would then spot punch , drill, tap to the thread size, and install the screw(I prefer 6X48 gun screw size as I can get finer adjustments on finer threads) re-assemble that Shiloh built Rolling Block,(this is a dream...right?) and be AMAZED !
can't you just see that Shiloh Roller now?.......case colours flaming up the sides of the receiver, fire blue screws accenting the case colours of the graceful breech block and hammer, tapered octagon barrel blued dark a Stygian night, matching Circassian walnut butt and forend with a muted ebony scnabel forend tip, light tasteful Hurst engraving of vines & foxes.........and an adjustable trigger return spring screw,

Ol'Tye.....lost in the 80s...........1880s,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Ol'Tye:

If they made your dream come true, I would order Shiloh RB #2. Have always wanted one, until I found Shiloh Sharps, however I could always find room for one of them also.

Maybe they will read about your dream....................

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
TYRVR

Shiloh Rolling Block:

Post by TYRVR »

Mr.Texas Shooter......from your lips to Kirks ear.....

I have seen several of the "Roller" rifles made in your great state, and while the work is above average.......it does NOT look like a real Remington,
it is like most of the imported Sharps clones.....they copy the parts and assemble them......but they do NOT look like a Sharps!
There is some quintessential element lacking in a copy that can only be added by an artist that loves his subject, Shiloh and the OTHER Montana company have found this element, all that it takes is a glance at a "Guido" and a "Big Sky" to know what I mean.

Ol'Tye,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
ssdave

Post by ssdave »

MBW,

You're on the right track with the trigger, but the best way is to replace the spring. I make a spring out of .050 diameter piano wire that replaces the trigger spring on a rolling block, and typically drops about 15 pounds off of a military rolling block trigger. I have done one pedersoli that I owned at the time, and it dropped to just a hair over 2 pounds. I have sold several to other pedersoli owners, and they have reported under 3 pounds.

If you have access to spring wire, simply bend up a wire spring to replace the flat spring and work with it until you have a safe trigger pull against accidental discharge (try knocking the butt with a rubber mallet and smacking the side of the action and the barrel with your hand). I would guess when you are done you will be in the 2 pound range, as that's the best the pedersoli trigger geometry will do. One of my remingtons is 12 ounces after I did it.

best of luck,

dave
MBW

Rolling block

Post by MBW »

Ol'Tye and Dave...Thank you for the advise. And Ol'Tye, your description of a dream Shiloh RB was pure poetry...and Kirk, if you are listening, any talk up there about branching out? Your '74's are wonderful and I am sure that you folks would make a great RB. But I digress, and dream...you both mentioned concentrating on the trigger spring. My 'fix' was to put a spacer under the hammer leaf spring. On second thought, does what I did weaken the action? Seems that it would be better to leve the hammer spring full tension and do it your way. Thank you again.

Meyer...
NRA Life
CRPA Life
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

MBW,

Dave knows whereof he speaks. He sent me one of his springs, and it took my .43 Spanish from maybe 15 lbs. to a very manageable less than 6 lbs. with no other changes. Follow his advise-make them the same shape as the one you remove, stone the end smooth, and enjoy!
Josh A.

Springs

Post by Josh A. »

MBW, listen to what SSDave is telling you. He sent me one of his springs and I built myself a couple of others. He is 100% right. I'll even send you some piano wire if you need it.

Take care,

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955