Hello from Pennsylvania!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

stoudtlr

Hello from Pennsylvania!

Post by stoudtlr »

Hi everyone! New forum member here so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Luke, not to be confused with the other Luke I see posting on here. I have to already say thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge I've already gained. I've been a lurker on these forums for at least 10 years before finally registering for an account and already have a large folder of bookmarks to different posts on here and links to other places that have been shared on here.

A little about myself. I first got interested in Sharps rifles when I was 8 years old and saw Quigley Down Under with my dad. I'll be 40 in a couple weeks. Some of you might be scratching your heads right now, but yes, it's really been 32 years since that movie came out. I live in the Poconos on an old farm my wife and I recently purchased and are slowly working on rehabbing it. I'm in IT and have worked from home since Covid. If I'm not working I'm outside working on the farm or shooting with the kids. We have 4 by the way. Youngest was an "oops" that happened 10 years after the next youngest. My wife and I met in the PA Army National Guard. I did 8 years Infantry and recruiting and she is still in. She'll retire with 20 years active in about 4 more.

To try and answer the first question some may ask, no, I don't own a Shiloh yet. Or any Sharps for that matter. But I'm finally at a place in my life where I can afford one. I've been dreaming of one and configuring different options on the website for the last 20 years, but now is the challenge of deciding for sure what I'm going to get.

Well, that was a more long winded post than I thought it would be so if you actually read it all then thanks! Hope to have some great conversations with you guys.

Lucas Stoudt
Luke Stoudt
Luke

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!

Post by Luke »

Howdy. Excellent choice in names. Enjoy yourself, no end of data here. :mrgreen:
Limber Up!
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Welcome aboard!!
Griff

Post by Griff »

Good to have you along!

Griff
Dangerous Freedom
bobw

Post by bobw »

Yes indeed welcome aboard. Sharps fan myself. Mb
bobw
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Welcome, also a Pennsylvanian, western part of the state.

A lot of good folks here willing to help.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Luke will you be shooting BPCR silhouette or anything like that…. If not right away do you think you might some day get into it?
stoudtlr

Post by stoudtlr »

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!
ian45662 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:41 am Luke will you be shooting BPCR silhouette or anything like that…. If not right away do you think you might some day get into it?
Ian, I've never done bpcr before, but with Shippensburg being 2hrs from me and Ridgway 3hrs it's definitely something I'd be interested in trying at some point. After getting used to shooting 200yds on my property first though. Don't want to jump right into the deep end.

I have experience with muzzleloaders and cap n ball revolvers, hunting and shooting for fun only not competitive, but this will be my first black powder cartridge rifle.
Luke Stoudt
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Great!!! Loading BPCR isn’t hard at all and people on this forum can really help you get dialed in. People at matches are also very helpful and will typically bend over backwards to help in anyway they can. There is another range in McDonald PA if you close to that.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

You need to attend a few matches and get introduced to the rifles they have there and to the game. You need to know exactly what you will be doing with the rifle you plan on buying.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Welcome to the addiction. You should definitely come to one or several of the matches. Although a long drive, Ridgway would make a nice weekend get away for the family. Hopefully we will have a .22 match on Saturday and the big bore match on Sunday. both are fun to watch and a good chance to meet the shooters and learn things. Also you have a chance to go and with a bit of luck,see some Elk. Lots of good people to meet at the matches and a good place to learn things. If you do make it to Ridgway stop and say Hi, I will be the one with the microphone tacking at everyone.
Sam
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

You should definitely come down to Shippensburg for the BPCR matches. Runs every 3rd Friday afternoon for practice with the match Saturday morning, March - October.
Ridgway is generally 22BPCR the 4th Saturday afternoon and BPCR on Sunday, but the dates have not been announced for 2023. Believe the 22BPCR is open to any safe 22RF rifle these days, so don't have to have a falling block rifle to shoot the match.
Just a bit further is a 60-shot 22BPCR match at Quinton Sportsman in Quinton, NJ every 1st Sunday a.m., March - Dec (you just missed the last match for 2022).
And, there are five (5) BPTR mid-range matches each year at Cumberland Rifleman in Millville, NJ, at 200/300/600yd. They are the 2nd Saturday of April, May, June, Sept & Oct, with the Sept match being the eastern regional/NJ state championship.
So, you are a 2 or 3 hour drive from several venues and you will be welcome at all. Come on out and join in the fun.
Glenn
stoudtlr

Post by stoudtlr »

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm only 15 minutes away from Interstate 81, 80, and the Northeast extension of the PA turnpike so none of these places are really that far. Furthest would be McDonald on the other side of the state, but even that is under 5hrs. Might have to hook up the camper and plan a weekend trip to one of the matches.

Only problem is that it could turn into an expensive trip. My wife likes shooting as well. I actually bought her an AR-15 as a birthday gift a couple years ago because at rifle qual every year she would miss expert by only 1 or 2 shots and it would piss her off so she wanted a rifle of her own so she could practice whenever she wanted. If I take her to one of these matches I may end up needing to order two Shiloh's. :lol:

Coltsmoke,
Without a doubt I'll be using the rifle for hunting and Sunday fun at home out to 200 yards. Silhouette and LR is all that I'm not sure about yet. The farthest shooting I've ever done is hitting the 300m Ivan's with an M16/M4 back when I was still in the service.

That said I'm debating 45-70 and 45-90. I have zero interest in using smokeless in this rifle so the off the shelf availability of 45-70 rounds doesn't matter to me. I'll be reloading my own with BP regardless. I know from all the lurking and searching I've already done on here most recommend 45-70 for your first one. I've also already looked up the bpcr silhouette rules to know I need to stay under 12lb 2oz if I'm going to compete.

They way I'm leaning right now, I think, is under 12lb 45-70 with 30" barrel. IF I find I really like the competitions (and I'm not total shit at it) then maybe a heavier 45-90 with 32" barrel for LR as a 2nd rifle. Don't even have the first and talking about a second. :roll:
Luke Stoudt
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Get your wife a 12 twist 38-50 and she will forget all about those ARs :D
bobw

Post by bobw »

ian45662 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:37 pm Get your wife a 12 twist 38-50 and she will forget all about those ARs :D
His wife is in the service and has to qualify every year with an m4 or a 16 that's pretty hard to forget. She has an AR to keep tuned to make expert. Not to hard to understand if you ask me. The country has been going downhill since 1776 because people don't have the need or think they have the need for skills with the service rifle. I for one am glad he is married to a gal who takes it serious and has one that isn't locked up in an arsenal every nite. Bobw
bobw