Hello from Pennsylvania!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania!

Post by ian45662 »

bobw wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:14 am
ian45662 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:37 pm Get your wife a 12 twist 38-50 and she will forget all about those ARs :D
His wife is in the service and has to qualify every year with an m4 or a 16 that's pretty hard to forget. She has an AR to keep tuned to make expert. Not to hard to understand if you ask me. The country has been going downhill since 1776 because people don't have the need or think they have the need for skills with the service rifle. I for one am glad he is married to a gal who takes it serious and has one that isn't locked up in an arsenal every nite. Bobw
Calm down Bob Im only funning……. Trying to anyways.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Welcome Luke!! Just starting the process of getting my wife into the sport as well, and your correct, once your wife goes to a match, it can get very expensive....quickly! Its all in fun though and I feel its important even if its just for fun. It teaches so many things in life that most dont even think about.

Good luck in your search for your new rifle(s) and thanks to the both of you for your service!!!

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

stay with the 45/70 more than enough out to 600 and fine at 1000 with a reduced band bullet art
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

where about in n j is quinton located is there a web site? art
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

We also have matches in Ashland Kentucky. Not sure how far that is for you but we have a few 3 day matches a year and we have places for you to set up your camper. No electric or water though but there is a truck stop a mile away where you can top
Off your water tanks. Also 3 times a year we shoot long range at camp Atterbury Indiana. They have fantastic camper facilities. There are also long range matches once a year at Read Range in PA. I have not been to that one yet. Lastly if you have not decided on a rifle might I suggest a #1? Something with a pistol grip and heavy barrel. MVA long range Buffalo. With that set up you will be able to participate in silhouette and long range matches. If you go 45-70 you will be able to use bore diameter paper patch bullets to load your 70 up to 90 levels and use groove diameter ammo to load it to 45-70 levels which make the 45-70 a very versatile chamber. When you’re ready to order you can do what I did and what a lot of people do which is order through Bill Goodman. That will save you a good bit of time and get you shooting much quicker. It took me about 6 months to get my Shiloh from him. I really hope to see you guys on the firing line sometime.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

The 45-70 is probably the best first rifle to start out with. In this day and age, being able to get a hold of brass is a big thing to think about. As to a rifle for the wife, she can always use yours till you get her her own. Another option for her would be to get her a CPA 44 1/2. They are made in almost your back yard, just down the road in Dingmans Ferry. If she is not big on being pounded by the big .45, you can do quite well by getting her a 38-55. a 12" twist will do everything she needs it to do and brass is available as well.
A good quality Postel style bullet mold is a pretty good place to start It will shoot well and the design is available in most calibers. There are a number of places out there offering good molds. Probably the 2 most popular are BACO (buffalo arms company) and Brooks molds. Accurate molds are also excellent molds.
Sights and scopes, MVA tops the list for both. Also DZ arms makes an excellent scope.
Between Shippensburg and Ridgway you should be able to look at any type or make of iron sights, scopes and rifles. Also just about any of the popular calibers you can think of are being used from the heavy 45's down to the .38's.
Sam
Luke

Post by Luke »

Boy, Shiloh has a Montana Roughrider in the gun inventory room on their website that'd make a heck of a target rifle.
Limber Up!
stoudtlr

Post by stoudtlr »

bobw wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:14 am
ian45662 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:37 pm Get your wife a 12 twist 38-50 and she will forget all about those ARs :D
His wife is in the service and has to qualify every year with an m4 or a 16 that's pretty hard to forget. She has an AR to keep tuned to make expert. Not to hard to understand if you ask me. The country has been going downhill since 1776 because people don't have the need or think they have the need for skills with the service rifle. I for one am glad he is married to a gal who takes it serious and has one that isn't locked up in an arsenal every nite. Bobw
Ian, I might have to. We'll wait and see on that one until after we've been to a match though. Maybe she'll be content to just sit and crotchet while she watches. She really has a broad and interesting range of hobbies. Also, thanks for the suggestion in your next post. A #1 and heavy barrel was already on my list of wants. That's a great point about working up a load for both GG and PP for the 45-70 so I can have the milder loads for silhouette and something a bit hotter for long range. I think half the links I have book marked so far are posts from bobw or Kenny about PP so I should have thought about that option.

Bob, She definitely takes her shooting, and her service, seriously! My father in law jokes that's in not me my daughter's boyfriends need to watch out for. It's her mother that's the crack shot. :lol:
bpcr shooter wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:39 am Welcome Luke!! Just starting the process of getting my wife into the sport as well, and your correct, once your wife goes to a match, it can get very expensive....quickly! Its all in fun though and I feel its important even if its just for fun. It teaches so many things in life that most dont even think about.

Good luck in your search for your new rifle(s) and thanks to the both of you for your service!!!

matt
Thanks Matt!
Nuclearcricket wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:45 am The 45-70 is probably the best first rifle to start out with. In this day and age, being able to get a hold of brass is a big thing to think about. As to a rifle for the wife, she can always use yours till you get her her own. Another option for her would be to get her a CPA 44 1/2. They are made in almost your back yard, just down the road in Dingmans Ferry. If she is not big on being pounded by the big .45, you can do quite well by getting her a 38-55. a 12" twist will do everything she needs it to do and brass is available as well.
A good quality Postel style bullet mold is a pretty good place to start It will shoot well and the design is available in most calibers. There are a number of places out there offering good molds. Probably the 2 most popular are BACO (buffalo arms company) and Brooks molds. Accurate molds are also excellent molds.
Sights and scopes, MVA tops the list for both. Also DZ arms makes an excellent scope.
Between Shippensburg and Ridgway you should be able to look at any type or make of iron sights, scopes and rifles. Also just about any of the popular calibers you can think of are being used from the heavy 45's down to the .38's.
Sam
Thanks Sam! I'll have to keep CPA in mind. I didn't even know about them!
Luke Stoudt
stoudtlr

Post by stoudtlr »

Luke wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:55 am Boy, Shiloh has a Montana Roughrider in the gun inventory room on their website that'd make a heck of a target rifle.
:shock: How often is that updated and how quickly do they sell? I've checked a few times the last several weeks and there hasn't been any listed.
Luke Stoudt
Luke

Post by Luke »

Was updated this morning, and they go pretty quick. I check the site every few days, like to play with the rifle builds. :D

Rifles show up in the inventory room at random intervals. No rhyme or reason to it.
Limber Up!
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Two in the inventory room now. Pistol grip on one of them, both 45-70's.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I don’t think the 34” heavy barrels will make weight for sillywets.
Luke

Post by Luke »

They list the weights. The Montana Roughrider is 11lbs 8 oz.
Limber Up!
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Luke wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:45 pm They list the weights. The Montana Roughrider is 11lbs 8 oz.
Mine with sights weighs in at 12 pounds. It has a 30” barrel but it’s full Octagon…. Not half like the one on their website. Does half round save that much weight? I would just hate to see him get a rifle that he can’t use for the game.
stoudtlr

Post by stoudtlr »

I think I'm gonna pass on that one. It's extremely tempting since it's available now and I even had it in my cart and got halfway thru checkout, but I'd prefer 30" and full octagon. Even though most of my hunting is from a stand I do still sometimes walk so I think the 34" would be a bit much.

This much money I think it's better to wait and get exactly what I want.
Luke Stoudt