Rolling Block in 40-65

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

cat1870

Rolling Block in 40-65

Post by cat1870 »

I have a friend who would like to have a rolling block in .40-65.
Does anyone know who manufactures a rolling block in this caliber?

Thanks
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
DAVE ROELLE

Re: Rolling Block in 40-65

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

A rebarrel of a current Roller in 45-70, is a simple change, it even uses the same extractor 😉
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Has he looked in to locating and existing rifle for sale?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

desert deuce wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:25 pm Has he looked in to locating and existing rifle for sale?
No....wants new.
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

He wants new you say? And, he wants 40-65.

Guessing, and guessing based on recent experience, a lightly used quality 40-65 Roller $3,000 maybe more maybe less and may take a 2-3 month search.

A new build for a quality rifle probably around $5,000.00 and 8 months to 16 month wait.

The high quality Rolling Blocks that I see winning long range target matches are built by John King, Kila, Montana. Hardcastle in Silver City, NM, builds beautiful Rollers as does Dan Zimmerman in Oklahoma. There are others, but I have no direct knowledge of their work.

Just any old 40-65 Roller pieced together I know nothing about.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Pedersoli makes a "decent" rolling block, but only in .45-70. It would have to be rebarrelled, which you should do anyway as Pedersoli chambers tend to be a bit sloppy. How serious is your friend, and how much money does he want to burn?
Limber Up!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

There was a TX-made 'roller in 38-55 on the ASSRA forum classifieds. It has such a slow twist it would need a new barrel or lined to be suitable for BPCR or target shooting, so going to 40cal would not be a problem.
Glenn
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure about competitive level Rolling Blocks, but you certainly can put together a very accurate Rolling Block for well under $2k, and have a like new gun that your friend could enjoy shooting for fun, or at matches.
I have several I've built up, and I have no equipment or skills to fit barrels and chamber them, nor the equipment to color case or rust blue. I am able to fit and finish stocks, and polish out receivers and barrels, so I save money on those things. None of mine have exceeded $1500 yet, and the military surplus rifles or actions I began with ran me $75-$225, depending on condition, smokeless or BP, etc.
These two are .40-65 and .40-50SS caliber. One a local guy fitted the barrel to, and the pistol gripped Roller the barrel was fitted by C. Sharps. Al Springer did color case, and rust bluing on both. Dave Crossno did the semi inletted stocks for the straight grip, and the pistol gripped one has Remington stock set from their 1997 run.

I wouldn't hesitate to have a Rolling Block built up, if he doesn't mind this option. I think buying one in .45-70 and rebarreling it will cost far more, and not have any better rifle.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

OK, let's talk about "QUALITY NEW" from a quality gunsmith. Check it out on home pages of gunsmiths and see for yourself.

Don't forget shipping!

New Quality Barrel Blank $400.00 and up depending on what he wants
Quality tang sight & base $600.00
Quality front aperture sight $175.00
Profiling, chamber, blue barrel $400.00 and up can be double that depending who does the work, round, half half etc
Semi-inletted wood finished $750.00 and way up depending on wood selection and who finishes it out (checkering)

THE BIG MONEY: The receiver, straight grip or pistol? New cast or original. Truing the action to barrel, proper headspace, fitting the extractor, match grade trigger, properly timed, do you want double set triggers. (Color Case?) Quality gunsmiths do not work cheap and the good ones are in demand and have work backed up. Depending on how long one waits to get a contract this will probably land between $2,000.00 - $3,500.00 and don't be surprised if it takes 1-2 years or somewhere in between, if lucky.

So, that's what you could be looking at for "QUALITY NEW" by a reputable proven gunsmith by the time all is said and done and the rifle and shooter make it to the range.

BTW, Bill Goodman could have your friend a Shiloh for less money and in less time and you can't beat Shiloh quality.
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Lotsa good advice here from folks that have 1st hand experience

Be fun to know the final outcome

BTW the Shiloh 40-65 chamber works very well

Be safe
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Does somebody even make new Rolling Block receivers that they sell for gunsmiths to make up?
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

As far as a new rolling block action, as far as I know, NO. There are still a number of original actions out there, either as an action or a complete rifle. There are still a few nice 43 Spanish rifles out there but the price is constantly increasing. A good Remington action will run in the neighborhood of $300 + . If you find an Itialing roller at a good price thats a good place to start.
I have an Italian action I picked up as a kit a number of years ago. As a bit of a bonus it is a pistol grip action but came with a barrel an stock. Took me quite a while to finish it and eventually it was re-barreled to 44-77. It is a good solid rifle. Due to a poor choice on a barrel it came out at only 10 1/2 pounds but like I said that is on me. The poor choice was the barrel weight and not the manufacturer. It does shoot and shoot quite well, Just a bit frisky on the recoil end of things.
Sam
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Check with Kenn Womack

rollingblockparts.com

He acquired Dave Higgenbothams parts inventory from Lone Star Rifles

I believe Dave had new investment castings made of the action components
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Find a 8x58R Swedish Sporter.

They were 1867 Swedish rollers upgraded with new innards and the block hardened.
They basically sat in the warehouse until they were sold out as Sporters and they have fabulous receivers.
The upgraded circular extractor works well for converting them to .40-65 or 45-70.

Picture of Swedish Sporter which is an excellent pltform to upgrade or customize.
1867 RB Right Side.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.