extreme cold

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Re: extreme cold

Post by opencountry »

This morning in Pasco, WA it was a balmy 3-5 degrees at sunrise, a good day to be outside; It's been much colder in years past. In the '90s it got down to -60 wind-chill factor. Our ammonia-producing plant froze despite all that we did. An exchanger froze solid. Dozen of 1" bolts let loose under thousands of pounds of pressure. They shot out into the surrounding farm acreage like 40mm rounds. Not one of the studs could be found. It was a long winter.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

10 degrees with a brisk north breeze in south-central TX this morning. But---our winters last only 2-3 days at a time. It will be near 50 for the high on Sunday and in the 50s and 60s all next week.

Clarence
Woody

Post by Woody »

-8 this morning. High wind that has intruded into my shop around the sliding door at the rear. Once the wind dies, I'll have to blow the snow dusting off of my wood. Too cold to hurt the moisture content yet.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

-3 in my neck of the woods. Wood stove is going full bore though. Cozy in the hose but I’m gong to have to take our pug out to potty soon. He ain’t gonna like it.
steveu834

Post by steveu834 »

9 degrees this morning, got to a high of 20 here in Peaster, TX. Wind kept the chill in single digits. My shop was 34, so I started to anneal a batch of.308 rws brass.

Stay warm my friends,
Steve
P.S. if you like dark beers, pour one in a glass and nuke it for 90 seconds. It’s a good way to get the chill out of your bones!!!
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Not a lot of photos...which I guess means "I aint going outside unless absolutely necessary " . Sounds seriously cold from down here. You all
stay as warm and cosy as you can. A freakishly mild summer currently with light rain and 72 f...heading for a top of 79 today. Christmas eve here already. Christmas day predicted to be a top of 88 f with sunshine. That's a nice change from the usual 95-112 we've copped the last few years. I'd like to experience a white Christmas one year but -20 to -40 would likely keep me from seeing a lot :shock:
Keep safe and have a Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year. 8)

.. rgds.. J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Have no idea how warm it was not one morning off Eastport, Maine, Bay of Fundy, in Jan or Feb, was going against a north wind in a 16' skiff and the sea water that was flaring off the bow was freezing in mid air.

Typical winter afternoon here in Southern Arizona, 70F high.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Had to chuckle this afternoon when it warmed up to 2. After spending a bunch of time outside in the heinous cold, it was amazing how warm 2 above felt.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

For those of you that said "I'll do that when hell freezes over", you're on tomorrow's schedule!
Tom Trevor

Post by Tom Trevor »

52 this am now 77 after nice day on the range.
JeffFaldo

Post by JeffFaldo »

Well it was a little chilly here on Thursday. Actually dropped a little after this picture.Was +40 today and sunny. Go figure. Coldest I've seen it in seventeen years of living in Wyoming is -55F. Think it may have been colder but that's as low as the thermometer went.
Temp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.