Storage

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Graybeard

Storage

Post by Graybeard »

Any ideas for powder storage and brass storage? I have my powder in my gun safe but I need room for other things. Thanks for any info
opencountry

Re: Storage

Post by opencountry »

I have stored my Goex and Swiss in both a refrigerator, and in a gun safe at room temperature. I personally think it’s a matter of storing the powder at a consistent temperature. I’ve gleaned this info over the many, many years of reloading all of my ammunition.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
Woody

Post by Woody »

A gun safe is not a proper storage container. Powder should be stored so that if it ignites, for any reason, it is not confined. Your safe confines it and so you now have a bomb.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

As long as black powder is in a sealed, waterproof container, it’ll be fine. The components are are stable and won’t deteriorate, even under varying temperature changes. I keep mine in my goat barn. I’ve told my wife, if the barn catches on fire, get the camera, stay back and fire up the grill
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

The gasoline in the tank of your car, parked in your garage, is 100X more explosive.
DO NOT STORE POWDER IN YOUR SAFE :!:
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I get the point, men, about storing black powder in a locked gun safe! I put it there to keep my inquisitive grandkids away from it. I need to store the powder in my den’s closet, the same room where my gun safe is. After leaving my den room I’ll lock the door! I have one key to that room, and it’s always with me.

I’m glad this subject was brought up, and you all responded intelligently to it; it changed my thinking, completely.

Robert
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks I have thought about that being in a gun safe. Definitely removing it. What is a good storage for brass?? Thanks again
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I keep all of mine in the trunk of my wife's car. :D
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

💥I like that, Coltsmoke!

R
Woody

Post by Woody »

After the brass is cleaned and dry, I store in gallon condiment jars. I label the jars with the contents. I get the plastic jars from a local restaurant. They just trash them. Each will hold several hundred 45-70 or 45-90. The mouths are big enough to easily pour the brass out when needed. I don't store loaded bprc ammo more than a couple of months. I like to load and shoot fresh match ammo.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Why not a safe? The powder containers next to all the mines I have seen are just big steel containers.
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I don't think there is any mine that uses black-powder...
The steel container (magazine) is timber lined to avoid sparks and the steel is for security of modern explosives. (Think ANFO)
Storage of black-powder at home should be in a solid wooden container that will burn in the event of a fire and not become a bomb that a solid steel safe would. I certainly wouldn't store it in my bedroom or den... :shock:
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

And here is a short vid for us in the wacked out peoples republic of Washington. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trEKNYTB3v0
Griff

Post by Griff »

MSalyards wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:38 pm Why not a safe? The powder containers next to all the mines I have seen are just big steel containers.
I believe that historically, explosives were often stored in containers or buildings (magazines) with reenforced sides and a weaker roof to deflect any potential explosion straight up.

I certainly wouldn't store powder or primers in a safe or old refrigerator. On the other hand, some people put signs on their safes warning of explosives stored within to discourage burglars using cutting torches...
Dangerous Freedom
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for all comments. My thoughts was my safe is supposed to be good for almost two hours in a house fire. Supposedly not to get hot enough inside to harm anything guns paper work so on. Didn’t figure it would get hot enough to set the powder off. Also seen were you are supposed to put powder in a wooden box with wood dividers. Anyone heard of that? Thanks.