Storage

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Re: Storage

Post by opencountry »

Every safe has a different rating on how long it keeps its contents ‘safe’ at specific outside temperatures.

BTW, I listened to a Washington State spokesperson tonight on YouTube describing the ‘guidelines’, etc. for storing smokeless and black powders in your home. I am determined to meet these guidelines in order to stay legal, and to continue shooting throughout my life. The home insurance companies pay out on home damage in the event where smokeless and black powder caused a home fire IF these guidelines are met. When I heard this I decided that if anyone in the State of Washington was going to follow the guidelines of powder storage in their home it was going to be me. Can you imagine the insurance company denying you the finances to rebuild because they found that you were non-compliant to powder storage regulations?!
Enuf said on that.
Btw, there will be another YouTube presentation/discussion by the President of Washington State Gun Law, William Kirk, on smokeless and black powder storage, etc. in WA State this coming April 4th @7:00 PST on YouTube. I’ll be watching it.
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
bobw

Post by bobw »

So if you put your black in your gunsafes where the hell would you put the guns?..bobw
bobw
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

After watching the video, I think my wife is breaking the law, I'm calling the law.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Don’t think I’ll be moving to Washington State.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

For years I've just stored powder in a metal two door cabinet with shelves inside. I keep a lot of other loading supplies in there also since the cabinet is huge. I have another 4 drawer commercial filing cabinet that I store loaded ammo and bullets in also. The only item I keep in a special hermetically sealed case are my primers. They take up so little space, (even with over 50,000) that my small sealed carry case fits them easily.
I've got powders that have been in my basement for 40 years and it's still in great shape, and the old containers are cardboard with metal lids.
HWPete

Post by HWPete »

I got a nice piece of 3/4 plywood at discount, slightly dinged.
I made a box with swiveling wheels and put a hasp on it. Just glued and screwed the plywood - since 3/4 inch, no need to make a 'frame' to attach plywood to.
Lockable and can be pushed under my bench when not in use.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Anyone use coffee cans to store their brass?
Woody

Post by Woody »

I did before I switched to the condiment jars. The large red Folgers plastic containers work just fine.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

I've got lots of brass stored in metal coffee cans and some in the newer plastic ones.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Luke

Post by Luke »

I like using the plastic barrels that hold Herr's Cheese Balls at the Dollar General. :D
Limber Up!
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

A couple years ago a neighbor of my son out in the country had his house burn down (I mean burn DOWN; the fire department wouldn't get near it) due to a home safe full of reloading supplies exploding (multiple explosions). Well, the insurance finally paid off after a long battle(s), and he was able to rebuild. I personally believe that with more and more gunpowder/reloading-related insurance claims on the books these days the State had to come to setting regulations on HOW TO STORE certain reloading items in homes. The State is not condemning the reloading/shooting community; they're trying to find safer ways to ALLOW others to continue on in the sport; I will support people doing this for us. Without safer measurements being put in the books currently there would be more opposition from non-gun owners. I can understand their feelings. Nearly everyone I talk to has such a negative attitude (probably because of this current fear factor in the world today); it's effecting their common reasoning. Make sense?

I'm currently working on a 3/4" plywood gunpowder 'storage box' to be compliant with those trying to help us keep our sport alive.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

I guess I have to comment too.
I use BP and have 10 or 11 cans now.
I plan to lower that amount in the future, just to be safe. We can get BP now, so no need to stock up that much.

I use a wooden gun box, bought on line for about $50, brass hinges, rope handles, about 1 foot square. Strong and wood. and NO compression.
These guys are right. a steel safe is NO place to put BP. It really is a bomb. and steel sparks. (stocking feet, on the rug, spark, angels)

I keep it in the garage, on a shelf, near the garage door.
I live in Florida and have NO problem with it in the plastic 'cans' it comes in.
I'm reading now about the Spencer bullet mfg. in the 1800's that had the factory blow up and 7 died. remember the Pyrodex factory going up?
Safety first.
Ken
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I had Fed-Ex deliver 25lbs to my wife's office one time, she knew it was coming and she would bring it home. I really was not thinking, her office was on the first floor of a bank building. Her boss walked by and wanted to know what was in the box. He was about to pass out when she told him what it was. If you need a bomb inside a bank, just have it mailed to the bank. :lol: She called me on the way home and was concerned about having it in the trunk of the car, I told her just don't make any sudden stops. I don't think she has thought about it sitting in the house with her.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Graybeard wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:09 pm Anyone use coffee cans to store their brass?
I buy Tupperware style bins that are rectangle at the local discount store. They come in a variety of sizes, and I prefer them because they stack closely together, and take up less space. Cheap at a couple bucks a piece, and easy to remove the lids to set them on the bench as I'm reloading. Plus I label the end of them so when I look under my bench I know which bin is the cartridges I need.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

Is Tupperwear a static free plastic? might want to check....