Thumler's tumbler drive belt longevity

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Thumler's tumbler drive belt longevity

Post by TexasMac »

Not having good success with the longevity of the original rubber belts for the Thumler’s tumbler I purchased the following from Amazon in Oct. 2020.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Since switching to the new belts I’ve cleaned 30 batches of brass. The 1st one just broke today in the middle of cleaning some .40-65 brass. Since the run time for each batch is 3hrs that’s 90hrs of total run time – much longer than the original belts.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
TexasMac

Re: Thumler's tumbler drive belt longevity

Post by TexasMac »

I forgot to include the pistol brass which adds another 15hrs to the total run time for over 100hrs total. BTW, that's with Thumler's high speed motor.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Item is no longer available.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Baco sells replacement belts or did
After about 3 years the original belt didn’t break but it stretched enough it would slip
Keep the rods and bushings on the rollers lubed
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Woody

Post by Woody »

That's why I went to vacuum cleaner v belts. I use Hoover part number 38528034. I poppemd the spot welds for the motor mounts and replaced with small machine screws. by adding or subtracting washers on the innermost screw, the tension on the belt can be adjusted. I bought my Thumbler around 1989. I think I'm on my third or forth belt now. They can usually be obtained at your local hardware store.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Woody wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:05 am That's why I went to vacuum cleaner v belts. I use Hoover part number 38528034. I poppemd the spot welds for the motor mounts and replaced with small machine screws. by adding or subtracting washers on the innermost screw, the tension on the belt can be adjusted. I bought my Thumbler around 1989. I think I'm on my third or forth belt now. They can usually be obtained at your local hardware store.

Woody
That's a clever idea!

Chris.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to rig up an idler pulley to adjust tension on the belt, but with the longevity of the belts as is and the relatively low cost of replacements, it doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I've owned my Lortone for too many years to recall, and it's never worn out a belt yet. I have no idea how many sessions of brass have been done either since it's too many to recall.

https://www.firemountaingems.com/itemde ... a425263154
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Take the old belt with you and check out the better sewing machine repair outfits
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I have an old Ar-6 tumbler, I have had it for over 35 years and I dont' think I have broken a belt on it and it has been used pretty hard over the years. Here is a link to a place selling replacement parts as well as tumblers.
https://www.rockshed.com/
I have since upgraded to the Rebel 17 high speed tumbler and am very happy with it so far. My guess is the 2 that I have now will last me the rest of my shooting life.
Sam
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

I have been using the same belt for 21 years,
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

The important thing about the recommended o-ring is the size. There are many other compositions; just get one the same sized that's the smallest durometer (softest) you can find. Some are very inexpensive.

Clarence
omgb

Post by omgb »

This is interesting timing. I bought my Thumler in 2003. It just gave up the ghost Monday...the belt stretched too far to grip. I thought I'd be clever and use the rubber band off of some celery. No joy. Sucker broke in the first 30 min. I ordered some replacements off of Amazon. Gotta keep Bezos in yachts.
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
Cal Hunter Ed Instructor/NRA Rifle/Shotgun Inst.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

omgb wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:20 am This is interesting timing. I bought my Thumler in 2003. It just gave up the ghost Monday...the belt stretched too far to grip. I thought I'd be clever and use the rubber band off of some celery. No joy. Sucker broke in the first 30 min. I ordered some replacements off of Amazon. Gotta keep Bezos in yachts.
Reece,
Can you share the item (link) to the part you found on Amazon? The ones I listed in starting this thread are no longer available.
Wayne
omgb

Post by omgb »

Amazon is nolonger listing the three pack I bought either. I get a bunch of part numbers and descriptions for all kinds of things...it's a mess. Not sure what's up. My belts did come though.
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
Cal Hunter Ed Instructor/NRA Rifle/Shotgun Inst.