40-63 Ballard

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

craigos

40-63 Ballard

Post by craigos »

Ok pls dont "shoot" me talking about a Cody Ballard .. have 3 Shilohs and love them but have got a bug recently on Cody Ballards.

Picked one up recently in as new condition, its in 40-63 Ballard (same as 40-70 Ballard). Now its meant to take .403 bullets, cant for the life of me find any .403 bullet mfgs , Lyman makes a mold # 403179 i believe but pouring my own bullets isnt an option. (Yes i know why did you buy it, sorry couldnt help myself was gorgeous and trying to help a family whose father had it out financially). Yes i can rebarrel ;)

So then i thought paper patch ... BACO has some pp 40 cal bullets that allows me to manage the dia.

Anyone here have experience in 40-63?

Thanks
Craig
craigos

Re: 40-63 Ballard

Post by craigos »

Sorry Lyman is 403149 and here is some cartridge info https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/40-63-an ... llard/3584 (no am not going to shoot it smokeless ... )
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Have you slugged the barrel? If so, what is the groove diameter? If not, why not?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't know what Cody Ballards in .40-63 did for the groove diameter vs. originals, but it should be much larger than yours if yours truly is a .403" groove.
Montana Bullet Works will custom size their bullets to whatever you like, so might contact them once you know your bore/groove size for sure.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

If he has not slugged the barrel, he does not know what bullet diameter he needs, with certainty.

We have an original J.M. Marlin Ballard Pacific in 40-63 with excellent bore. Very accurate rifle.

We have an Ideal and a Lyman 403169 Mould. It is not the mould we use in our original 40-63 Ballard.

Again, before you can determine what is needed the groove diameter of the barrel should be determined. If it is a Cody Ballard they may have records designating the barrel maker and the groove diameter if you can't bring yourself to drive a soft lead slug through the barrel and measure it.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!