.52 Sharps bullet.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gmartin

.52 Sharps bullet.

Post by gmartin »

I own an old and well used M1963 Shiloh Sharps carbine, serial number, 1271. I have recently been hoping to use it again as I want to pass it down to my grandchildren, I am teaching those most interested to make a paper cartridge, mold a bullet, and load with powder and filler. I have come across interesting items as I search the net. Will an original .52 Ringtail Christmas Tree Bullet bump up with charge and fill the rifling? Any comments will be appreciated.
George Babits

Re: .52 Sharps bullet.

Post by George Babits »

I don't know about the 52 caliber ring tail bullet. I would think it is nominally 52 caliber. If you have one measure it and see. I have been using the Lyman 54 caliber minie mould (533476) in two Shiloh infantry rifles and an original carbine. Works pretty well and easy to roll into the paper cartridges.

George
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopi ... 35#p335335

Is measured from original 1859 mold

Charles
Luke

Post by Luke »

Limber Up!
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

I am uncertain how to answer everybody, it has been too long since I last used this forum. My everlasting thanks for all who responded and tried to help me. I have a paper cartridge for 5 molds, too many, I own for this carbine. From dimensions I see I think it may be possible to do this. If I manage to get hold of a period nominally .52 mold, I will form a mandrel and try. Thanks once again. BTW, my cartridge paper is 100% Cotton Rag Vellum.