lubing gas check with PAM?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
George Babits

lubing gas check with PAM?

Post by George Babits »

Anybody ever tried using PAM cooking spray on the block and gas check. Seems like nothing will stick to it. I've been using anti sieze grease, but in cold weather things get pretty stiff after 15 rounds or so in my original carbine.

George
Kirk

Re: lubing gas check with PAM?

Post by Kirk »

Pam will work, I've used it for years with cap and ball pistols instead of grease.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I may have missed something Kirk, but don't see the similarity between a cap and ball revolver and the gas check plate on a paper cartridge Sharps. Are you talking about PAM on the round balls or on the cylinder pin?

George
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I found that when I packed my 3:1 mutton tallow:beeswax bullet lube in that big cavity in the gas check, the number of shots I got before I had to remove the block and wipe it down went from less than 15 to at least 35.

Be sure to not get any lube in the flash cone in the center of the plate, just trowel it into the space around it. The “bouche” in the breech end of the barrel can still do with some occasional wiping or daubing with moose milk, but the block movement is still vastly improved.

My Sharps replica is a Pedersoli Berdan, an early one that (afaik) copies the original Lawrence gas check setup. No O-rings or anything.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

George,
Everything freezes up with black powder whether it's cap and ball or breech loader, I normally use anti sieze, you asked if pam would work, it will.
On cap and ball, I use it instead of smearing grease on the balls. Load it and just spray it on top of the loaded cylinder.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

OK, that makes sense. I have always used the anti sieze onthe Sharps. Was just a bit curious about the PAM as being suitable. Seemed like I read that somewhere. I have been shooting cap and ball Remington revolvers since 1960 with my great grandfather's original. I now use a grease groove connical bullet which saves the mess and bother of top greasing over the round ball.

George