Reloading Dies

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Graybeard

Reloading Dies

Post by Graybeard »

Have a RCBS Rockchucker Supreme. And have a set of RCBS 45-70 cowboy dies. Was told today I would need a different seater die. What do you guy recommend?? Was looking at the Redding competition 45-70 die. Will the Redding dies fit in the RCBS press. Thanks
Dennis Armistead

Re: Reloading Dies

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Not familiar with the Redding die, but I use the Vickerman and have had excellent results. It should fit on the RCBS press.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Dennis,

Yes, the Redding Competition seating die will fit in your Rockchucker (almost all presses and dies are 7/8x14 tai) and will give you excellent results.

Clarence
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

what are you looking to load??

cast bullets and smokeless?
cast and BP?
jacketed?
is this in a repeater,? single shot? pistol?
cast and BP in a single shot rifle, you should only need your fingers to seat, then a 45cal taper crimp die. Im not sure as to why you would need a different seater die other than it may not have a "roll crimp" section in the die but, you shouldnt need that anyway.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

45-70 black powder. Shiloh. For competition.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Graybeard.........unless the seating die deforms the nose of your bullet, there is absolutely no reason why you can not use the die that comes in the Cowboy Die set. I've used the original in my Lyman dies to seat 1000's of bullets and I see no reason why the RCBS will not work as well.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I was told something about the seating piece in the cowboy die is flat. And I would need the piece to be round for competition Sorry for not knowing the terminology. I’m at work hard to think. Thanks for the info.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Look into the inline seating die made by Shiloh. You have to do a little work to set it up but it'll work better than anything I've seen for using neck tension and eliminating runout. It's made with a piece of barrel steel chambered with the same reamer used to make the rifle. They don't seem to get a lot of publicity for some reason.

Chris.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Graybeard wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:52 pm I was told something about the seating piece in the cowboy die is flat. And I would need the piece to be round for competition Sorry for not knowing the terminology. I’m at work hard to think. Thanks for the info.
Bullet seating pieces come in various shapes from flat, to semi wadcutter, to round nose, and spire point. RCBS sells various seaters, and should have one that fits the nose of your bullet close enough.
On rare occasion I haven't been able to find the exact seater shape I needed, so I used a different seater and used JB Weld to form it to my bullet tip. I simply greased or waxed the bullet good, mixed up the JB Weld and smeared it on the tip of the bullet, and then raised the press until the bullet touched the seater. Leave it until it cures and then lower the ram and take the seater out of the die. Use a file or belt sander to remove the excess JB Weld and you've got a seater that's a perfect fit to the nose of your bullet.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:15 pm
Graybeard wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:52 pm I was told something about the seating piece in the cowboy die is flat. And I would need the piece to be round for competition Sorry for not knowing the terminology. I’m at work hard to think. Thanks for the info.
Bullet seating pieces come in various shapes from flat, to semi wadcutter, to round nose, and spire point. RCBS sells various seaters, and should have one that fits the nose of your bullet close enough.
On rare occasion I haven't been able to find the exact seater shape I needed, so I used a different seater and used JB Weld to form it to my bullet tip. I simply greased or waxed the bullet good, mixed up the JB Weld and smeared it on the tip of the bullet, and then raised the press until the bullet touched the seater. Leave it until it cures and then lower the ram and take the seater out of the die. Use a file or belt sander to remove the excess JB Weld and you've got a seater that's a perfect fit to the nose of your bullet.
That's basically how you make the nose fit the Shiloh seater die. Since the seater die is a copy of the rifles chamber, everything gets lined up perfectly. It's definitely worth the time and trouble.

Chris.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You can get another seater plug
Midway has one got 7$
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Thanks for all the replies. Just looked at the Shiloh. Is it very hard to set up. Thanks.
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

I seen the Shiloh press and die. What’s you thoughts. Thanks.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

To set it up you have to make a dummy round. You use the dummy round to form a nose plug using the same process that Val described with the JB weld. So it's a bit of a pain, but you only need to do it once and it's set up for life. Unless you want to set it up for multiple nose shapes and then you'd buy a plug for each nose. I don't think the plugs are listed on the web site but they are pretty cheap.

I'd say whether you like it or not depends on how detail oriented and picky you are about your ammo.

Like others have said too, you can always slip fit your bullets. Slip fit bullets can deliver excellent accuracy and obviously don't need a seater at all.

Chris.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

guess Im on the slip fit group...when I shot GG in competitions I never used the seater, just finger seat them. I left them about .005-007 long, that way I always got a good seat into the lands with the bullet by camming them in. I used a lyman taper crimp die just to put the slightest crimp, but even that in the end was collecting dust. Now with PP I use it all the time.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member