Annealers

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

GSmith

Annealers

Post by GSmith »

Any advice on annealers? Looking at the Bench Source to handle a wide variety calibers.
Luke

Re: Annealers

Post by Luke »

I use an Aneeleez, been very happy with it.
Limber Up!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Very happy with the Bench Source for the past 6yr. Never a hiccup.
Glenn
GSmith

Post by GSmith »

Thanks for the replies. Those are the two units I was interested in. Leaning toward the Bench Source because no wheel change is necessary and the overall unit operation.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I bought a Bench Source about a year and a half ago, and I like it very much.

Before that, I used a simple cup chucked in my cordless drill and a propane torch. I believe it does a very acceptable job, but I much prefer the ease, speed, and repeatability of the Bench Source.
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Will the Annealeez work with our rimmed cases? Especially 50-90, 45-90, 40-50BN?

The sad part is I have all the part to build an Annealeez, but at the price point it is not worth the time to build one assuming it works as well as it appears.

I looked at Bench source and only Graf's lists it (as out of stock) and BS site does not show any other info on sourcing?

Thank you,
Charles
Luke

Post by Luke »

Aneeleez has no problems with rimmed cartridges. I run 45-70, 45-90 and 50-70 on mine. The 45s and 50 use the same wheels FWIW, so I never need to change.

Thinking about it, I've also run 10.4 Italian, 43 Spanish, and .30-40 Krag, all using those same wheels.
Limber Up!
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Which wheel set? (Large caliber or Short Magnum)

Charles
Luke

Post by Luke »

Short magnum I believe. I put them on and found they worked for everything I wanted to do. It is an easy change over though if needed.
Limber Up!
Luke

Post by Luke »

Went back and dug through my paperwork: its the Large Caliber wheel set. Sorry bout that. I've got the short magnum wheels, but have never used them.
Limber Up!
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

It looks like Brownells has the Bench Source in stock:
https://www.brownells.com/reloading/cas ... 97922.aspx

BTW, I bought one in May 2013 shortly after then were introduced & love it - have annealed a few thousand cases. I bought mine directly from the manufacturer. Currently BACO & Graf has them listed as out of stock.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
CWO

Post by CWO »

Bought my Bench Source in 2011 off the engineer and owner out of the back of his pickup truck at a shooting event in Missouri. No problems from 45-70 to 223. Has my vote and would not hesitate to purchase it again.
OldVarkWSO

Post by OldVarkWSO »

GSmith - depending on how many different calibers and brands of brass you are wanting to anneal, it might be worth a look at this machine made by Annealing Made Perfect - https://www.ampannealing.com/

I have used this for several years for the different calibers of my single shot black powder rifles. The annealer is a little pricey, but I’ve never regretted getting it. Induction annealing is very easy - I have been lucky as there are preloaded settings for all the brass I use. If you have the AZTEC upgrade, you can get your own setting for brass the company hasn’t tested yet by using one sacrificial piece of brass.

Another feature that really appealed to me is I don’t have to use an open flame on my reloading bench to get it done. Things can happen. :shock:

Just my $.02 - PM me if you have questions.

Cheers -

OVW
GSmith

Post by GSmith »

That unit is my preferred annealer, however I can not justify the cost. Leaning toward the Bench Source. I play the lottery and if I every get the winning ticket it will be on my list.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

The bench source is the best of the torch type annealers. I’m running one right now and have zero regrets. It allows you to precisely annneal even very large volumes of brass in a short time. Ive run more than 500 pieces through my bench source in less than an hour.

All that being said, the induction machine is even more precise than the bench source. I don’t think that the difference between the two is all that great. However, if you’re looking to shrink a 1000 yard group from 3 inches down to 2 inches, it’s probably worth it.

There are several videos on YouTube comparing the two and charting their results on thousand yard targets.